Fly Tying
Kudu

soft hackle flies

Any suggestions for a soft-hackle imitation of a little black stonefly?

Hans Weilenmann is a great tier of soft hackles. Try this link and look for some dark bodied and sparse spiders. Tie them in small sizes 16 and down.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/hweilenmann/hweilenmann.htm

Thanks very much. Great link and great flies. I've got Nemes' and Hughes' books, and just downloaded Nemes' DVD on how to tie soft-hackles, so between those resources and the one that you've suggested I should be in good shape.

Best,

Steve

Try the Stewart Black Spider.

Darkest brown silk,waxed, and Starling hackle.

Start your thread and work about 1/3 the length of the overall body toward the bend. (On this size 16 it was 6 turns). Then select a starling feather of appropriate size. I like it to have a good greenish shine to the black. Tie in by the tip.

StewartBS_0006_zpsb75a7fef.jpg

Continue the thread toward the bend to create the body, and return to the point you tied in the hackle.

StewartBS_0007_zps8da0b625.jpg

Then, working carefully because the stem of a starling hackle is very delicate, twist the feather around the thread.

StewartBS_0008_zps82242cf8.jpg

Wind the hackle and thread together toward the eye. As you wind drag the feather fibers back toward the bend.

StewartBS_0009_zpsa6b0f31a.jpg

Secure the feather with one or two wraps of thread, trim out the excess.. A whip finish and you're done.

StewartBS_0010_zpse21aff13.jpg

That might just crack the hatch.

Cheers,

C.

Hans Weilenmann is a great tier of soft hackles. Try this link and look for some dark bodied and sparse spiders. Tie them in small sizes 16 and down.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/hweilenmann/hweilenmann.htm

Thanks - great link!

I also found this one:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act=flysearch&gettyer=Soft-hackle

Best,

Steve

Try the Stewart Black Spider.

Darkest brown silk,waxed, and Starling hackle.

Start your thread and work about 1/3 the length of the overall body toward the bend. (On this size 16 it was 6 turns). Then select a starling feather of appropriate size. I like it to have a good greenish shine to the black. Tie in by the tip.

StewartBS_0006_zpsb75a7fef.jpg

Continue the thread toward the bend to create the body, and return to the point you tied in the hackle.

StewartBS_0007_zps8da0b625.jpg

Then, working carefully because the stem of a starling hackle is very delicate, twist the feather around the thread.

StewartBS_0008_zps82242cf8.jpg

Wind the hackle and thread together toward the eye. As you wind drag the feather fibers back toward the bend.

StewartBS_0009_zpsa6b0f31a.jpg

Secure the feather with one or two wraps of thread, trim out the excess.. A whip finish and you're done.

StewartBS_0010_zpse21aff13.jpg

That might just crack the hatch.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks for the post. I'll definitely try this one. I also found this pattern for a flymph that I'd like to try - maybe I'll weight the flymph just a bit but try the soft-hackle closer to the surface:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern4405.html

Best,

Steve

A plane jane Prince or a Peacock and Partridge in sizes 18 to 14 will cover 90% of the time.

That being said I use these as well. I dont know if they catch more fish for me, but they are fun to tie on the end of my leader.

post-2074-0-96493500-1365280530_thumb.jpg

Our water tends to be quite acidic and O2 can suffer. Reds and clarets are a staple. Coincidence??

I think at some point coincidence becomes common occurrence. Now i'm going to have to find where I read this.

Ok found this info on Midges/Chironomidea --

Their red colored body is due to the presence of highly efficient hemoglobin that can store oxygen better than other organisms. This hemoglobin allows midges to live in habitats that have limited oxygen such as lake bottoms or areas of high organic pollution where other organisms cannot (Soil and Water Conservation Society).

I don't know if this holds true for other insects in low oxygenated water, but the blood seems to be more pronounced as it holds more oxygen.

In contrast, in high oxygenated waters the hemoglobin in insects was said to be blueish-green to gray.

I would say that is our water. The conifer plantations increase acidity as does the natural peat ground. I have seen plenty of pale grey bloodworm in my pond that was well airiated but the waterbutts are full of deep red worms.

Colin is right, our waters are very acidic, this area is all peat to quite a depth. Some people still cut it, dry it and use it as household fuel. though we do have a few limestone lochs a little further north. (You can't get a lot further north without falling off the top!) They are known for their very different hatches. Red flies do perform very well here, Thanks ZOnk, I now understand why.

Cheers,

C.