Fly Tying
Firefighter615

First Fly that I have ever tied

I wish I could have just bought the materials I needed to tie the flies I fish. This tying thing is addictive! I have been at it over 35 years now and my tying supply is huge. Since moving to Colorado the flies I tend to fish are 18-22 and you can really tie up a bunch of flies with the materials you purchase. Hooks are another thing, tend to go through those pretty quick due to my sloppy casting and having to fish 7x most the time.

Thanks for all the kind words and replies. I plan on tying mostly since that is what works best around here in central Indiana. I do plan on purchasing some tools but only what I need to do the job. I know about a girl friend / wife not having the same interests that we do. I have had to deal with that for more than 20 years now. She didnt want me to get a boat and poof I got a 1983 Ranger ( that needed rebuilt) for nothing, I am still hearing about that one and I am sure that I will here about the fly tying costs as well but hey I am used to that by now. The vice that I am using currently is a toolmakers vice and something else. I will have to get pictures when I can, but it works for now. As I work and get better I will post more pictures of my progress.

Thanks again for all the tips and kind words.

Nice first try, however the idea of saving money is not always what we expect in fly tying. The price of materials have jumped over the years, and the fact that women are now braiding into their hair, the feathers that we use for tying has not helped the price market.

I am from east central Indiana as well and it is not exactly the fly fishing mecca of the world. There is now a fly shop in Indy and there use to be one in Ft Wayne that may still be there. Early on, don't get caught up in having all the right stuff. A bobbin is great and cutters of some kind will help. You can catch a lot of fish with just some thread, craft foam, and rubber bands. Oh, and some cheap fingernail polish for head cement.

Thanks for the tips. I will NOT be going back to the one at 82nd and Allisonville Rd in Indy. I went in there once and I felt like I was unwanted because I didnt have the correct clothes or didnt look like I had enough money to warrant their time. I dont aim to talk about others but I will not be back to their store.

Right now I am using thread that the wife had at the house and foam from a flip-flop or two, and OHHHHH Super Glue, but I do have head cement. I am just wanting to enjoy my self and have some fun while doing it.

Thanks again for the tip

Playing with different threads will show you big differences in your final product. Time and experimenting are about the only way to find what will work best for you. Every-body always argues that their choice is better but i have found that each individual responds to different thread characteristics differently and diferent materials react differently as well. So try to find a few types to try.

Thread is fairly cheep but makes a huge difference in how your fly turns out...later you can play with color to get various presentations.

I find the save money part funny... I'd say fishing is cheap, tying is spendy... But that's my style I suppose, buy a good rod, reel, and Ill use it for ever... I like trying a variety of flies, so Ill see a pattern and think: "I should tie a few of those, Ill use em I'm sure..." next thing I know I spent 30-40 bucks in new material and different hooks etc and tie 4 of a pattern... so the flies I tied cost me 10 bucks or so a pop!

I'm not a speedy tyer for most patterns. Timed myself on a grumpy frumpy last night and was in the 8-12' range for example. If I pay myself an equal rate to what my paycheck suggests... then lets just say my flies are way more expensive than if I bought a few in a store now and then :)

Regardless, it's an awesome thing to do and your going to love it as you get further and further into it. Love that fly - that popper will catch. I'd second the slightly shorter legs thing... but only for fouling reasons, beyond that its solid.