Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
i_love_rush_and_ledzepp

beginner's flytying

These are two of the best for beginners with techniques that will help with any tying and general patterns for trout, both by Skip Morris. Both are relatively inexpensive.

http://www.skip-morris-fly-tying.com/concise-handbook-of-fly-tying.html

http://www.skip-morris-fly-tying.com/fly-tying-made-clear-and-simple.html

You don't want to just go tying anything. Some flies will certainly work for a multitude of fish species. But you really need to research where you will be fishing and what you'll encounter as far as species of fish before you can create a basic list of flies. This will be a big step in your flies being productive and your enjoyment of fly tying and fishing.

Also, browse through the pinned post at the top of this forum titled "Best Beginner Fly Tying Book"

You don't want to just go tying anything. Some flies will certainly work for a multitude of fish species. But you really need to research where you will be fishing and what you'll encounter as far as species of fish before you can create a basic list of flies. This will be a big step in your flies being productive and your enjoyment of fly tying and fishing.

Well it doesent really matter at first to me. I just want to get the hang of fly tying any beginner fly.

My favorite fly to tie is the prince nymph. Its relativly easy but I haven't perfected it just yet. On top of that I have had really good luck with it trout fishing.

My friend "John Ritchie" who is a flytyer/fisher and sells materials tools boocks at home buisness in london ontario canada called "JFM aka John's flytying materials", (id link ya but i dont think im allowed) Said this to me in a email reply to my email

My email to him:

are any of these good for beginners?
what ones should i try?
--------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

badger spider

black beetle

black ant

cinnamon ant

picket pin

fledermaus

tups indispensable

little green caddis

beaverpelt

cress bug

mosquito larva
------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

miracle midge

cream midge
------------------------------------------------------

His reply:

I would start with
spider ant picket pin mosquito
do a few of each till u get used to handling the tools
anything with a dubbed body can be frustrating at first
so practice learning how to do a dubbing loop till u have that down pat
then try some of the fur body flies
leave midges to end they seem easy but u need to have proper size threads and materials
and some experience with the pressure you can use when tying or you will get frustrated
with threads and material breaking and getting the proper proportions- also trout seem
to be more picky on midge proportions so u want the them looking right.
Cheers John

------------------------------------------

So prince fly may be to harrd to start with, I'll ask him sometime.

thread midges will teach you thread control then move on to a wooly buggar then to a hackled dry fly like an adams or a royal coachman then to a nymph like a hare's ear

I see, But is John right about waiting before trying it?

Rush, did you check out the post that is pinned in this forum? I think there are about ten pages of posts of recommendations for beginner books and other beginner information. Not that you won't get any different answers here, you likely will, just another place to look while waiting for answers here.

Good luck,

Kirk

Rush, did you check out the post that is pinned in this forum? I think there are about ten pages of posts of recommendations for beginner books and other beginner information. Not that you won't get any different answers here, you likely will, just another place to look while waiting for answers here.

ok, ill look

btw my name is kirk too

I say learn the midge first so you learn the thread control then move on to the other ones I teach a 4H group and its they way I start them all

I'll talk to john about it. I will keep it on the table ok?

I'm going to buy a custom beginner's kit from him in April

Edit: The candian flytyers link won't load. :(

ok, ill look

btw my name is kirk too

Its a good name.

I named my canoe Enterprise cause my friends called me Captain Kirk. Some years later when I was guiding, I had a Captain's license and was Captain Kirk, officially.

ok, ill look

btw my name is kirk too

Its a good name.

I named my canoe Enterprise cause my friends called me Captain Kirk. Some years later when I was guiding, I had a Captain's license and was Captain Kirk, officially.

lol my dad named me after captain kirk

That is funny, I'm not sure who my dad named me after; he never did really have a good answer other than our/his last name is German and he wanted a match.