Fly Tying
TOMMY TROUT

SPARKLE MINNOW

Thanks for the reply sparkleminnow. I did tie a couple of polar pearl over the weekend with white thread. I picked up some mono to give that a shot too. I made a huge mess chopping up, orienting and trying to get the stuff in the dubbing loop though! I couldn't quite follow everthing in your very detailed description but maybe it will be more clear when I sit down to tie another with that open in front of me.

cheers,

Michael

Well, while there is a thread on this forum asking, "What is your favorite fly?" I thougt it to be a little too obvious, and maybe conceited to say, "The Sparkleminnow is my favorite. However, I have taken 30 different species on this fly, and counting. It's my "go-to" fly for smallies, and, under the right conditions, slays trout. I took my best muskie, King Salmon, rainbow, coho, smallmouth, and walleye on this pattern. And, though I've caught bigger wipers on other patterns, I had my best day on them using a sz 4 pearl. In fact, I've only had one wiper come out of the water to take a fly, and it was on this pattern. The fly was turning over on the cast, and the fish came out of the water to grab the fly before it was even in the water!

Here's my 26" rainbow taken on a sz 4 pearl.

post-2-1105976686.jpg

This is by far the best fly that i have ever fished with in my 20 plus years of fly fishing. I use this fly for everything, even ice fishing for gills, perch, crappies and bass. Oh, notherns love it to. All fish love this fly a lot of the time. Honestly there are times i won"t fish it because it"s to dam easy to catch fish! I know that sounds far fetched but it"s true. Be warned though like any thing the fly has to be fished correctly and where the fish are. Fish are fish and do"nt feed all the time. This is my favorite Great Lakes,warm water, cold water,lake,river or stream fly! Wow you would"nt think i fished anything else, but i do. I get bored easily fishing the same fly all the time so i fish a lot of different flys as well. Tanks for a great fly Sparkle Minnow! biggrin.gif

So a buddy just gave me one of these. It has a white under belly, gold sides and a black top.

Awesome fly, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to do that with out it looking "clumpy". :blink:

Couldn't have been done with a loop, could it? :dunno:

Somebody get me on track here...

Hey, just realized today is my 1st birthday on the site. And I've managed 2 posts (well, now 3). I'm either tying too much, fishing too much, or lurking too much.

Just bringing up this old thread for one of my favorite patterns. This has worked very well for bass and large bluegill in my local lakes. The black light and Baitfish angel hair have worked well for me.

Thanks again for a great pattern!

K, guys. After much anticipation, and a veerrrrry long wait, there is now a video for tying the sparkleminnow. Though, I have to burn the copies, myself. That means, there will only be enough for those on this thread....for now. I'll have to get some blank DVD's, and get Nero 11 hot! VERY limited quantities!

K, guys. After much anticipation, and a veerrrrry long wait, there is now a video for tying the sparkleminnow. Though, I have to burn the copies, myself. That means, there will only be enough for those on this thread....for now. I'll have to get some blank DVD's, and get Nero 11 hot! VERY limited quantities!

I would love a copy of the DVD. Can I send you a stack of new-unused DVDs in exchange for your instructional video?

email me at [email protected]

hi everyone.

bringing this older thread back to life. new to the forum and have a question on the sparkle minnow.

i like the two-tone versions that montana fly co is putting out now, particularly the sculpin color shown below. can someone shed some light on how to achieve this two-toned version? tie it in bunches with one color on top and one on bottom in one clump, work up and tie in the next clump, work up and tie in another clump, etc. (similar to a smoke wagon tie)? tie in a strand of sparkle brush along the bottom and another color on the top to achieve the desired color combo? something altogether different?

thanks in advance.

Z25O18-0390.jpg