Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
skinnyminded

tampa flies???

Just wanted to see if anyone had any favorite flies for tampa bay redfish and snook ? Mostly fish shallow flats,mangroves and docks. Also wanted to know of any good flies for night fishing all of these same places?

I would bring midnight minnows by the dozen, for the night snook fishing under lights and everything in between for the days. Almost anything cruising the flats will eat those things. Also I would bring some EP shrimp and EP crab patterns for tailing reds. I use those in Naples a lot with good success. I posted on a previous thread with pics of these flies and a few more. Check out the "Vero Beach / Naples" thread and look for my post. Good luck, watch the tides, especially in Tampa.

I deliberately didn't chime in since I don't fish that area (and it's been many years since I tied for a shop in the Tampa area.,...). If you need addtional info here's the first site I'd go to post your question..... hmmm I'm not being allowed to post the link....

At any rate, go to the Florida Sportsman forums and ask your queston in the fly tying section, specifically the "tying bench". Good luck (and if anyone can tell me what's going on with not being able to post a link to another site, I'll be all ears....).

tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

EP flies, schminnows, poppers, gurglers all work well. I like bendbacks in yellow with mallard flanks that imitate pinfish. It also depends on if you are fishing the beaches, flats or creeks. Shrimp patterns work well for docks, and white baitfish patterns like the schminnow or deceiver are popular for dock lights at night