Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Noggin10

Opinions on a 7-8ft. 4wt.

I'm in the market and could use some opinions. I'll be using it for small water trout and bluegills w/ the ocassional bass thrown in. I've been leaning toward the ll bean pocket water series, but don't know what all else is out there. Any input would go a long way. Thanks

Got 7' 9" 4wt i built myself. I have caught Bluegill, crappie, smallies and a 7Lb carp on it. Dont know much about LL Bean stuff but i imagine its good stuff. Good luck!

I think the tough thing about 4wt choices out there is most are fast action, 4 piece rods that feel like hard sticks -- but I'm a bias fan of slow action 2 piece rods. Also, 4wt options are pretty pricey for a secondary panfish/trout rod.

I'd follow Riffle's recommendation and contact steedrifter for a custom rod. You can find quality IM6, IMX or GLX 2pc blanks at very reasonable prices and end up with a custom rod with your choice of reel seat, grip, thread color and guides while saving a few bucks in the process.

I've gotten several 6-7' rods oer the last couple of years in 2, 3 & 4 wts. [bass Pro White River, TFO, Orvis Superfine and Sage Response]

All work for bass and bluegill and the Orvis and TFO are very soft. If you are not used to a soft rod, you will need to adjust your cast.

Largest bass on the 2 wt. is near 3.5 lbs and it was a long and fun fight.