Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Nealbo

need help

I am tring to tie a deer hair popper, but I can't get the deer hair to get all the way around and loosk like crap. can yall help

Deer hair is tricky and takes ALOT of practice to get decent at it. Try using small clumps of hair about the size of a pencil. I usually make two semi loose wraps holding the hair in place then as I make my third wrap I go tighter and then let go off the hair and then it spins around the hook. Hope that helps, I'm not an expert on deer hair but I can make em fishable. dunno.gif

I like playing with deer hair, although since losing one hand it's a little more frustrating. the key,i think, is practice and the three loop method given above has always worked well for me. don't hurry and back up if you don't like the results. hope this helps.

Also make sure you clean your clump of all that fuzzy underfur - I use a small cat comb.

And you are spinning this on a bare hook shank right? - Don't cover the shank with thread as is common for most flies

If you are spinng deer hair that you want a collar, like a muddler head, clean and stack the first clump and tie on like the above. The next clumps, just need to be cleaned of under fur. and clipped square. you can stack them if you want but there is no need. If you have to spin deer hair over thread wrappings, coat the thread with crazy glue, LET DRY, and the hair will spin like crazy. Good luck!

Hi Nealbo,

You've already received some great advise so I will only expand on some of the suggestions a bit with two comments:

1. Good spinning hair comes off the rib of the animal and off a whitetail deer is a light gray in color. The hair along the backbone, shoulder, and rump is good for wings and tails but aweful for spinning. It is usually a darker to charcoal gray in color.

2. When spinning a clump of hair and it doesn't cover all the way just flare another clump in the bare spot OR flare one clump on the bottom of the hook then another on the top rather than trying to spin a single clump all the way around the hook. That's how I tie a Goddard Caddis by flaring the clumps of hair on the top of the hook only. On smaller sizes of Goddards a spun clump of hair will block the hook gape. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Hey, hey, my hair spinning brother,

It is not a fast process. The great tiers on the site gave you great advice. I have watched people do it at fly-tying and fly-fishing shows and expos. I have read the books, and consider myself a very good tier.

I must confess after all that, my first deer hair poppers looked like poopers.

I probably tied 15-20 before they started to take on a good look. Every once in a while I still tie a pooper instead of a popper. It can depend on the hair, thread, and my level of patience.

But even when the first ones looked bad, they still caught fish. Remember we are tying flies to catch fish not fisherman (well some of us are, the rest of us addicts just can't help ourselves)

Don't give up, you'll get it

Conehead

PS: Pop a conehead on a deer hair muddler minnow, and it'll make you smile.