Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fcflyguy

line

looking to buy a good line for trout mostly will doing nymping throwing some streamers will b putting on a new 5wt any favorite a out their thanks fc

If its on a smaller water I really like my Sylk DT line from Cortland. Good for casting to rising fish with no FALSE casts. WF I haven't gone wrong with 444 but bario do a good line too.

Most of my fishing is with 5 and 6 weights. I tried all kinds of lines but now only use the Barrio GT90. At £25 ($38) including world wide postage its a good deal on a great line. The mushy pea colour is also superb, subtle but visible. It is very straight on the water and really flies.

Cheers,

C.

the fly line world has gotten as ridiculous as can be. If someone was to look at a catalog they would think a different line is needed for every kind of fish, hell a different line is needed for every kind of fly, nymphs, streamers, emergers, whatever. Marketing and fly fishermen's willingness to buy into the hype has made it absurd.

One would think that if a floating line's last six inches dips below the surface after 10 hours of fishing, it must be defective! Or if a person can't cast worth a crap, it must be the line's fault!

Just get yourself a 5 weight DT or WF, both fine for general purpose trout fishing, from a recognized brand name, and you will be just fine. If you find that you must solve a minor problem here or there based on the line's performance, then you will have become a better fly fisherman because of it.

I have had good luck and long life with the Scientific Anglers lines. I have switched over to weight forward lines and have ditched all my double tapers over the years.

I have had good luck and long life with the Scientific Anglers lines. I have switched over to weight forward lines and have ditched all my double tapers over the years.

+1 on that.

Bill

Ok let me first confess, I have bunch of fly lines I've gotten over the years, most have a taper one way or the other and most have been purchased at a bargain price; and some were expensive tri-outs thinking I'd cast or fish better. I decided many moons ago the Double Taper was my best line. When I tried to control a Weight Forward on the water at a distance of more than 40 ft. I felt I was only talking to the running line in front of me and the real fishing end of the line out there was not listening to what I wanted it to do. The DT was responsive, long line twitches went right to the fly, hook sets were so much easier, roll pick ups from a distance were what I'd expected, very good!

Generally , the DT, has a longer front taper. ie. 8-10 ft as compared to 4-6 ft.on the WF lines. You will theoretically get a gentler presentation with the longer front taper because the taper eats up the energy from the belly of the line as the tip turns over. We want soft presentations don't we?

The DT has the great advantage in that it can be reversed when one end wears out. This can't be said of the WF design. You can also cut the DT in half and rig two reels.

The fly line coatings on modern lines contain microbubbles which help the fly line float. The thicker the line the more bubbles and the better it floats.This is important fishing distances more than let's say 40 feet. A running line is an abomination if it goes under water. You will have a tough time with roll casts, with pick ups, and you will have a harder time with hook sets because the fishing end of the line doesn't get the energy through the running line. Be aware also that the smaller the fly line there are less microbubbles making the line harder to float. Why anyone wants to fish these micro weight lines is beyond me. I don't fish below a 4 weight. There have been constant complaits over the years about the floating fly line tips sinking...well they just can't fit enough microbubbles in those tips, that's the reason!

As far as distance casting goes.....hold your arms out to the side and open your hands. That's your shooting distance advantage with the WF line over the DT at 100 feet. 7-8 ft.? There are tournament casters who prefer a DT over the WF because the added mass of the DT belly helps to turn over the line, plus the extra weight loads the rod deeper.

To get that optimum shoot ability from WF, the WF lines are made with a stiffer coating. That's not what you want if you are fishing rivers and streams and need those valuable es's to help a drag free float. Most DT's are made with a more supple coating which equates to more es's and better fishability. Don't be afraid you won't be able to throw a straight cast with the limper coated lines, you certainly can. I think a good dry fly cast on the river or stream is one where I aerialize 50 feet of fly line with a slightly rising loop and a curve to match the current and end up with the fly at 30 feet from me.20 feet of really valuable es's! The kind of drift that catches fish.

To add credit to the WF, it does take up less room on the reel spool than a DT which equals more backing. Well....ok, I just go out and buy a larger reel if I think I need more backing with the DT. No biggy. All my reels are suggested by the makers to accommodate 7-8 weight lines, and those reel spools have anything from a 4 to a 9 weight line on them.

So there you have my first choice in a fly line...a DT, and some of the reasons why. You don't need a special nymphing line, the most important thing is that it floats so that you can pick up the subtle takes. The DT is excellent for streamers because casts to the far banks sometimes will need to be in the 60-70 foot range. It will not only provide the energy to get the fly on target, but once the line is on the water you will have far more control than WF's.

Hey hw,,,

Hah hah,, Whew,, man that was emphatic, but have to add my little 2cts. cleaning the line all the time and greasing it every time. unless changing line is tirvial to your pockets.And of course there are the spey lines to many to list.

the fly line world has gotten as ridiculous as can be. If someone was to look at a catalog they would think a different line is needed for every kind of fish, hell a different line is needed for every kind of fly, nymphs, streamers, emergers, whatever. Marketing and fly fishermen's willingness to buy into the hype has made it absurd.

One would think that if a floating line's last six inches dips below the surface after 10 hours of fishing, it must be defective! Or if a person can't cast worth a crap, it must be the line's fault!

Just get yourself a 5 weight DT or WF, both fine for general purpose trout fishing, from a recognized brand name, and you will be just fine. If you find that you must solve a minor problem here or there based on the line's performance, then you will have become a better fly fisherman because of it.

Joel pretty much hit it on the head. I'd go with a DT for delicate work on smaller streams or a WF for bigger flies on bigger waters. I actually use three lines that cover all the situations I've encountered over the years. DT and WF floaters and a WF full sink. Expensive reels aren't necessary for trout, so I keep two spare Medalists loaded and ready in my vest. I agree that it's gotten ridiculous, but manufacturers are in the business of selling lines in a highly competitive market, so you can expect them to push for more and more specialization. IMO, it makes more sense to learn how to get the most out of the gear you have than to spend a fortune on a truckload of stuff that you'll only need for one trip per season.