Fly Tying
flyfisher4life1

Turkey Wingcase?

CCG -- Clear Cure Goo -- has bumped all other coatings off my fly tying desk. It is just too good and easy.

Rocco

i too use one of the uv cured goos to hold turkey together and you dont need to use a glob of it.

regardless of what you use they will eventually end up splitting

I usually brush down the entire feather (or just a portion) with hard as nails. You can then snip segments of the feather off to use as wing cases. I haven't tried the spray adhesives, but it seems much faster to go that route.

I spray them with clear lacquer or poly. Works well for me. Very fast dries fast.

MWL

Thanks for replying guys, many guys also use "Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear". I'm going to give it a try to see how it works especially because it's pretty cheap.

I stretch a pantyhose over a mason jar and screw the lid ring on, then glue the slips onto the panty hose with either Hard as Nails or vinyl repair glue diluted with a little acetone, then cut them out. I've used these for hopper wing cases. I've also dipped them in spar urethane, squeegeed them off between my fingers, then let them dry on wax paper. I've done the dip in urethane thing with church windows as well for wing cases.

Clear Cure Goo--finishes off all wingcases nicely. Maybe it is too expensive, but it really increases durability especially on turkey and pheasant tail. To be specific...clear cure goo hydro is what you want to use.

Thanks for replying guys, many guys also use "Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear". I'm going to give it a try to see how it works especially because it's pretty cheap.

Spray dull side (underside) if using Krylon

Spray dull side (underside) if using Krylon

I will do that, thanks for letting me know.

I use either the spray fixative wing case or the UV acrylic coating depending on whether I want the wing case to be more natural and fuzzy (fizative) or shiny (UV acrylic) like a Copper John. They do not result in the same fly.

Jimr1961...that sounds like a neat method of reinforcing all kinds of materials

Murray

I stretch a pantyhose over a mason jar and screw the lid ring on, then glue the slips onto the panty hose with either Hard as Nails or vinyl repair glue diluted with a little acetone, then cut them out. I've used these for hopper wing cases. I've also dipped them in spar urethane, squeegeed them off between my fingers, then let them dry on wax paper. I've done the dip in urethane thing with church windows as well for wing cases.

This does sound a like a good method. I do have a question.

Since the pantyhose contain spandex, the side with the stretched hose could tend to contract. Do the "slips" tend to curl after they are cut out?

I just use regular ole fingernail polish. You might try it before you get into more expensive stuff.

Cut whatever quill slips the width you need for the fly your tying and put a daub of the polish toward the quill end of the slip and drag the applicator brush down the slip, follow with a second daub and gently pinch the polish and pull it along the slip. Set it aside and let it dry. Repeat for how many slips you want.

I tie the tip end first and pull it over. It helps to square off the slip where it has been bonded well with the polish making a much neater tie-in. Depending on how big the fly is, I've found that more than one or two wing cases can be made from the same slip.

Wing cases should be sized just slightly wider than the fly body at the tie in point. Make the slip equal on both sides of the body.

All this doesn't matter to the flies fishability but you'll feel better looking at those pretty flies in your box! You can also add more polish to the wing case, cases, after the fly has been completed to make it as shiney, plastic as you'd like.