Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rainbow14

Places to Fish Anna Maria Island - Florida

HI All , I am new to the Forum and looking for a bit of help , having a Family holiday to , Bradenton Beach on Anna Maria Island on Florida Gulf Coast in first week or two of AUGUST this year and plan to get a while to get in a bit of SALTWATER fly fishing ! have not done any Saltwater Fly before :-(

I believe the fish in the area are awesome with everything from sea trout, snook to Tarpon (farther out by boat), I was wondering if anyone can give me some guidance on BEST FLIES TO USE & ALSO a few locations to try a bit of flats fishing or wading with a 9Wt fly rod, on or around Anna Maria , it extends down to Long Boat Quay to south and Tampa bay to North ? Anyone been and make recommendations would be GREAT ! :-)

Start looking through the Saltwater section of the forum. There is a LOT of information on the flies and places to fish. Finding a guide will save you a lot of wasted effort. There should be a LOT of places to fish, but I am on the wrong coast to give you any real help. Search out some local fly shops in the area.

Cheers, thank for reply , found lots of Guides with Boat hire in area and online , but kinda expensive , a full day ( 8Hrs ) loking at around $600 , can take up to 4 fishers but I am on my own as dont think wife & daughters will be joining me ... LOL ,

I have only been there a few times and spent more time imbibing adult beverages than fishing, but did get a few snook on the beach. They should be there in August. I find that all white flies work best for me on the beaches. Schminnows and all white deceivers or clousers are good choices.

I also like the DT Special

post-18514-0-15230300-1365170662_thumb.jpg

agn54 --> Nice Fly :-) -Starting to tie a few clousers as seem a safe bet , any where I can get instructions to ty this - DT special ?

Any good locations to try wading or shallows around the island rather than just off beach or the piers ?

I'm sorry I can't help much with locations, you may need to stop in a tackle shop and ask around. You can also try to get a hold of a Florida Sportsman Fishing Chart for the area which is a great chart with possible species indicated in certain areas

We used to take the family just south of there each August (Siesta Key) and I was always able to catch a few snook and other species on fly and be back to our rooms before they were up and moving each morning. Because you're on the west coast there the sun is at your back at dawn (and the fish are literally at your feet, right in the wash less than 20 feet off of the sand at dawn). Small flies, less than size #1 are appropriate (my favorites are Crystal Schminnows in size #2 or #4 with a simple "poor boy" leader - about four feet of 20lb fluorocarbon looped to a four foot butt section (30lb mono for 7wts and smaller, 40lb mono for an 8 or 9wt rod... -permanently spliced to the fly line). An 8wt is perfect but you can go as light as a 6wt for this sort of stuff....

Stay a bit back from the edge of the water and cast on the diagonal ahead of you as you move slowly up or down the beach. the fish will be hard to see, you'll need polarized lenses, they will let you know the moment they've seen you by stopping or turning away.... Look out for the folks doing their early morning walks along the beach on your backcast.... You wouldn't want them to spill their coffee. An hour after sunrise it's all over (but the fish will return at dusk - just not as close - you'll be wading out until you're in about two to three feet of water as the sun goes down.... At dusk you can go to a bit bigger fly, up to about 1/0 -the old Seaducer pattern is hard to beat, I like red/white...

That entire area has some very good night fishing around dock or bridge lights. If you can get access to a public dock with a nice light holding fish that can be a treat (the night scene is fish gorging on glass and other small minnows so small white flies are the stars...).

Hope this helps, and yes guides are expensive. I try to remember that whenever I get a booking (I'm down to the south in the 'Glades most days.....). The first pic is a Crystal Schminnow (my version) - so is the next pic, the last pic are Seaducers....

tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

post-30940-0-12329000-1365251340_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-55696800-1365251373_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-45286800-1365251375_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-19036100-1365251377_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-06794100-1365251426_thumb.jpg

Capt bob lemay --> BOB , Thanks for the info , off the beach sound like fun , we are staying in a two house about 100yds from the beach ! The whole saltwater experience is new to me, would I get away with using a leader setup of lighter weight say 15 + 10 lb fluorocarbon?

I am more used to fishing fresh water on local club still water / reservoir for rainbow + wild browns that breed in small inlet streams. Hook size s usually 12 or down to 16 for drys ! So fishing anything above about a size 10 wet fly is a whole new ballgame !

Have tied a few clousers in size 6 + 4 various colours , would they do off beach also ???

We plan to hire a pontoon boat for the family outings for couple of days , is there any areas are good for anything bigger a little offshore or in the inlets between AMI and Bradennton mainland ?

Any comments welcome :-)

Rod will be a 9wt fly with saltwater reel

You can go as light as you choose for leaders... but snook (even little ones) are equipped with lips like brand new 100grit sandpaper (and we won't talk about the gill plate on each gill that's sharper than a new knife blade...). What I'm saying in a roundabout way is that 20lb fluoro is as light as I care to go (and although most want a shock or bite tippet of 30 or 40lb between fly and leader - I do without it to get more hits and worry about what happens after that all important bite... Remember as well that your leader needs to transfer the energy all the way down from your fly line to the fly you're using. Nine weight lines need a substantial butt section and if you tie a tapered leader (not really necessary for what you'll be doing) you'll want a butt of 40lb, about 4.5', then three feet of 30, then an 18" section of 25, then a final three foot section of 20lb.... If you use a "poor boy" system all you have is a two piece leader, that heavy 40lb, which is looped to four or five feet of 20lb...

If memory serves that pontoon boat will be best operated in the waters that are actually sheltered by Anna Maria... If the weather is laid down you may be able to anchor up at one end or the other of the island close enough to structure (jetties, docks, breakwaters) that you'd be able to use a fly rod off of one end or the other - but pontoons aren't really very suitable for that purpose... If you're on foot, in addition to walking the beach at dawn or dusk you might want to check out any public access points at the north or south end of the island. There will be current there and feeding opportunities for hungry fish. You might just find some that you can reach on foot - that's where your clousers will come in handy. Here's a pic or two of the ones I tie and use quite a bit way to the south.... This pattern is called the Whitewater Clouser and it was developed to fish Whitewater and other bays in the interior of the Everglades. It's on a Mustad 34007 in 2/0 and is the size of my palm overall with large bead chain eyes instead of lead eye. When I want something to work deep I tie the same bug with medium lead eyes on a 2/0 jig hook...

post-30940-0-66565100-1365359683_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-55273700-1365359704_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry I can't help much with locations, you may need to stop in a tackle shop and ask around. You can also try to get a hold of a Florida Sportsman Fishing Chart for the area which is a great chart with possible species indicated in certain areas

Cheers, had a look at Florida Sport Fish web site , GREAT ! Loads of info , THANKS

You can go as light as you choose for leaders... but snook (even little ones) are equipped with lips like brand new 100grit sandpaper (and we won't talk about the gill plate on each gill that's sharper than a new knife blade...). What I'm saying in a roundabout way is that 20lb fluoro is as light as I care to go (and although most want a shock or bite tippet of 30 or 40lb between fly and leader - I do without it to get more hits and worry about what happens after that all important bite... Remember as well that your leader needs to transfer the energy all the way down from your fly line to the fly you're using. Nine weight lines need a substantial butt section and if you tie a tapered leader (not really necessary for what you'll be doing) you'll want a butt of 40lb, about 4.5', then three feet of 30, then an 18" section of 25, then a final three foot section of 20lb.... If you use a "poor boy" system all you have is a two piece leader, that heavy 40lb, which is looped to four or five feet of 20lb...

If memory serves that pontoon boat will be best operated in the waters that are actually sheltered by Anna Maria... If the weather is laid down you may be able to anchor up at one end or the other of the island close enough to structure (jetties, docks, breakwaters) that you'd be able to use a fly rod off of one end or the other - but pontoons aren't really very suitable for that purpose... If you're on foot, in addition to walking the beach at dawn or dusk you might want to check out any public access points at the north or south end of the island. There will be current there and feeding opportunities for hungry fish. You might just find some that you can reach on foot - that's where your clousers will come in handy. Here's a pic or two of the ones I tie and use quite a bit way to the south.... This pattern is called the Whitewater Clouser and it was developed to fish Whitewater and other bays in the interior of the Everglades. It's on a Mustad 34007 in 2/0 and is the size of my palm overall with large bead chain eyes instead of lead eye. When I want something to work deep I tie the same bug with medium lead eyes on a 2/0 jig hook...

BOB , thanks again for the info, really appreciate it , never fished for Snook before & they Sound a bit more of a fight than the Rainbow I am used, so the advice in Gill plates & Rough mouths is invaluable !

Will move up a bit on leader weights I reckon :-) & let you know how I get on after the trip in August.

Nice Flies , beautiful even tying , What do you use for the weed guard I see on most of them ??

2 years ago I fished the beach up on the panhandle for a few days. All I caught was some ladyfish but it was fun but I would have liked to used my 5wt for them instead of my 9wt. I did try but had no success. One of the fellas on here later recommended that I shorten my leader to get better control of the fly on the light rod. Just something to keep in mind. I also found that I had to be on the beach before sunrise and by an hour or so after the bite just quit. It didn't matter much though because because the sunbathers were filling up the beach anyway.

The beach dropped off quickly up there and the fish were no more than 15 feet from the sand. I don't know how it is where you are going. I had my success on the white schminnows with pearl estaz body and marabou tail on a 4 or 2 hook. I regret not wading out to the 2nd sand bar and fishing the dropoff to deeper water. May have been a waste but ........Have fun and good luck

I've fished the beaches of AMI with a fly rod when visiting for annual holidays over the last 9 years with varying degrees of success. As your down at Bradenton a good bet would be beach just before Longboat Pass you'll have the water of the Golf & the bay to go at. Like every one says fish early and late before the crowds get on the beach. Clousers and other bait patterns work well, try and watch out for the schools of bait fish and fish around these.

As the tides can rip through this pass take care if you decide to wade.

I'm out there at the end of next week for 3 weeks but staying at the top of the island.

Tight Lines & good fishing when you go.

Iv'e been away from the computer pretty much until a day or so ago (nothing being continuously booked for almost ten days, up before 4am and not home until 7pm each day) so this is the first time to re-visit this thread. As far as the wire weedguards that most of my flies come with -they're not really needed on the sand but come into their own working mangrove jungle shorelines in the 'Glades... Here's a tying sequence from an article I did a few years ago that explains how to employ that weedguard as you tie up a fly... I like #5 trolling wire for hooks larger than size 1 and use #4 wire for hooks smaller than size 1....

http://www.flyfishinsalt.com/techniques/fly-recipies/swamp-rabbit

Hope this helps.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666