Fly Tying
Fish For Life

Any thoughts on what i can tye with these

I was going through some craft supplies from when i was a kid and stumbled myself into a goldmine. I found a container of beads in every color and size imaginable. I was pretty pumped when i found these beads until i got them to the tying bench. I couldn't think of anything to tye with them. Any thoughts on some patters i could tye with these colorful beads. There are beads that will fit hooks 20 and up. Im looking for any size flys so give me what ya got. I started by tying some size 20 chironomid type bugs and put some beads on size 8 hooks. I needed to start somewhere. smile.png

Thanks

post-44005-0-91498000-1365395642_thumb.jpg

post-44005-0-92390400-1365395715_thumb.jpg

post-44005-0-38281800-1365395762_thumb.jpg

post-44005-0-61444600-1365395883_thumb.jpg

I have seen patterns where you tie a small, clear glass/plastic bead ABOVE the emerger pattern. You can use most any soft hackle pattern but it is supposed to represent the air bubble that lifts the emerger to the surface film. It is designed to be fished in film or just below. Of course, like any pattern, there is someone who claims it was the only thing they'd hit and would have been skunked if that hadn't saved the day...UH, yeah...

I have also seen patterns where the entire body of a scud is made up of beads CA glued together as you pack them on the hook. I'd have to hunt down a pattern to see how they put the swimmy little legs on. If you google glass bead flys you'll probably hit a gold mine of patterns for your goldmine of beads.

ANY pattern you tie with a brass or tungsten bead can be tied with a glass bead, they just won't sink as well. Tie egg sucking leaches with some of the larger red, orange, yellow and pink beads.

I use them to make "eyes" on a piece of 203 mono. Just melt the ends with a lighter and maybe a dab of glue to further secure the beads and then tie on the hook as you would bead chain eyes. Here's one I tied a while ago.

post-35746-0-90536100-1365430235_thumb.jpg

Just small black beads. The red mono line I used gives them a red pupil.

Get the book, "Tying Glass Bead Flies", by Joe Warren. It has great patterns for all kinds of flies. It will give your imagination a great place to start. Book is available on Amazon.

You can also put multiple beads on a single hook....all the same, or slightly different....cover the hook shank with tinsel of different colors to get different looks with different beads under the light....