Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steiner

Scud Back substitute

I've found a couple clear stretchy pieces of what I thought was scud back lying around my house. I had no idea what they were until I asked my wife. They were the clear elastic hanging straps that are in women's dresses. I'm pretty sure they are the exact same stuff as scud back. Anyone with women in the house, get them to give you those straps, or if you tie a bazillion flies, you can buy rolls of the stuff for way cheaper than the little bags of scud back.

There's always the ziploc bag strips too.

It's true....I got some at JoAnne in the sewing section, I believe they called it bathing suit elastic. They only had it in 3/8" width, so I use a rotary cutter and cutting mat to make the width I need. I also use permanent markers to color or mottle the underside of the elastic. Works great and is cheap.

Seeing is believing so here are photos of the 1/4" and 1/8 " clear Hareline Scudback.

482110_110722211749_DSCF5759_zps78443dc8

482110_110722212624_DSCF5030_zps2e38107e

It is identical to Sew-Ology Clear Elastic that I bought in the sewing section of Hobby Lobby. See the photo of the package and the material below.

Sew-Ology and Dritz brands of clear elastic

P1010493_zps69b20a65.jpg

Sew-Ology elastic 3/8" outside the package.

P1010498_zps210ead90.jpg

TThe Sew-Ology brand is thinner and better IMHO than the Dritz brand that I bought at Joanne's.

Both brands are 3/8" in width and you get 5 yards of it for about $2-3. It comes in 3/8" width, and that is why Hareline cuts that into a 1/4" and 1/8" to sell it. I also cut mine into the same widths using a rotary cutter on a rotary cutting board.

As Bassmouth and SSC wrote, you can color it with a marker to get the shade you want like the olive Hareline version.

482110_101110184049_scud_back_dark_olive

I have used the clear straps used to keep a blouse on a hanger that come in some of my wife's blouses. It works great and has just the right amount of stretch. They are free and the wife cuts them out of her shirts anyway.

I was actually talking about the cord/string like in this; http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pcs-Roll-0-8mm-Clear-Elastic-Stretch-Beading-String-Cord-Wire-Jewelry-Making-/290911038772?pt=Fashion_Jewelry&hash=item43bba62d34

I was wondering if it might work similar to strech-tube for other nymph and midge patterns.