Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Spring yard work / flowers

After spending about 8 hrs per day out in the yard the past three days I can finally say it's pretty much done for the summer now. Put up the new wood fence in both corners of the yard now with some new flower beds, redid the driveway flower bed and added a new section of flowers under the flag area. Pulled out the old wild bushes last fall and put in some new Spruce trees along the front of the house. Now I get to tackle the backyard probably next week after resting up a bit.

flowers013.jpg

flowers2x.jpg

flowers1i.jpg

flowers3y.jpg

flowers4u.jpg

flowers5.jpg

flowers6b.jpg

flowers7z.jpg

flowers8.jpg

flowers9.jpg

flowers10l.jpg

flowers11.jpg

Yeah me too. My grandma got that one back in the 80's when it was only about 6ft tall, now it's still growing really nicely here in my yard. I just wish it stayed nice and flowering like that longer. Usually only get about 2 weeks of it like this, then the first good wind blows all the flowers off it.

Fertilizer every month and water it for 30-45 mins every 3 days, plus leaving the mower at the mid height setting so it doesn't get cut too short and burned. Even doing that though I still have a number of brown spots that I am fighting to turn green.

Oh ... rods, aquariums ... these things I could watch you do and think, "Great workmanship, pretty construction, this guy knows what he's doing."

Not once did I think ... "What a show off!" Until now.

I just try to keep the dollar weed at bay. Maybe get a few wildflowers to bloom once in a while. Mostly, we call our yard a Plant Hospice, since it's where plants come to live out there remaining days in as much comfort as we can give. (Never, it seems, enough to keep them alive).

Nice looking yard, show off!

Looks great! If you are bored its time to cut and bale alfalfa here.

This is what eles I do besides fishing stuff and that four letter word, work.

post-33030-0-10436800-1368139171_thumb.jpg

I am really In to succlents.post-33030-0-65282000-1368139247_thumb.jpg

Some pics of my little yard's rock garden'spost-33030-0-73488900-1368139325_thumb.jpgpost-33030-0-50602600-1368139411_thumb.jpg

Black pine bonsaipost-33030-0-68043500-1368139491_thumb.jpg

Cedrus Lebani glacua pendula, rare Cedar post-33030-0-77508700-1368139602_thumb.jpg

I spend most of my time out doors. If I am at home and the sun is up, I will most likey be messin' in the yard

Sorry Steve, But in my book Salty's got you beat. It comes down to living in a near desert area. I have learned not to waste time and money on flowers here since they don't have a chance. You can water them all day every day around here and all they do is dry up. I ussually plant 2 rows of corn in my front yard for Halloween...Last year the drought was so bad that they never got more than 10-12 inches tall even though i watered twice every day...the pumpkins failed, even the artichoke couldn't take it...i am turning anti-garden now.

I need Salty's talents here...i don't know much about succulents.

But i do have to admit Steve, that do look purdy...

well I been working in my garden area the past 2 weeks also I transplanted 30 strawberry plants out of the garden and into a couple old tires and cutting down 5 maple saplings freeing up almost 50 square feet more room in my garden to plant more veggies this year I'm doing my normal salsa garden tomatoes jalapenos onions and green bell peppers plus my 4 favorite squashes(hubbard,acorn,yellow,and zucchinni) but this year I am adding green and yellow beans and pickles to make my world famous bread and butter pickles last fall I canned 25 quarts of them and didn't have any left after Christmas

Raising 15 acres of alfalfa that I square bale and sale to the horse farms each year, a small garden (I love wilted lettuce and onions), small orchard peach, plum, cherry, and pear, and I quit making wine and have let about 50 trellised vines go to pot.

Steve, I think you need to talk to Salty fly about the Bonsai. That Pine is beautiful ... plus these two. The one in the middle looks like a Cherry Tree? Elm? What is it, Salty?

And the one on the right looks to be another pine ... maybe unintentionally started but definitely growing towards a nice cascade or windblown.

mike, the plant to the left in the pot is Crokia cotoneaster. The 'cascade' is a dwarf blue cedar.I got it in really sad shape, it is starting to pop out of it, it is gona look cool hanging out of the rocks. The black pine I have been training it for about 15 years or so. Thanks for digin' on my stuff.

Salty it is pretty easy to dig your stuff it is very nice and looks great.

I'm not big on succlents (just not a hot weather/desert fan myself, more of a flowering plant type guy) but yeah I am digging the Bonsai's for sure. Got some great exposed root systems on that pine, real nice.