Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flyman416

Brood II aka 17 year cicadas.

Hello all, I'm sure some of the people on here have known about the cicada group known as Brood II in North America on the East coast. Brood II is as old as I am and I'm pretty excited as I remember a few years ago when the 7 year cicadas emerged in Kentucky, and the surrounding states, the fish, aswell as other insect eating animals, went crazy for these bugs. So I thought I ought to remind all of the east coasters about this and to start tying some red eyed cicada patterns for there will be billions of them!

Here's an article about it if you want to read more:

http://m.theatlanticcities.com/neighborhoods/2013/05/17-year-brood-ii-cicada-emergence-update-theyre-heeeere/5562/

I know that Kentucky is not on the East Coast but I have a feeling we'll get hit with a couple swarms.

Since there will be a ton of these bugs, I would just tie up a couple deer hair bugs about two and a half inches long. That should give enough profile to mimic them, or you could do a dark red/ orange colored popper.