Fly Tying
brianbailey1000

Dr. Slick Hair Stackers

I've gotten by for years without a higher quality hair stacker. I've heard good things about Dr. Slick. They are available in small, medium and large. Just curious if one can get by with the medium or if it's worth it getting a small and a medium? I've always used a once size fits all in the past. I'd be stacking hair for everything from #6 Stimi's to #22 comparduns. Thanks in advance.

With hair stackers there are two sizes I use the smallest you can get and the biggest. If it will not go in the small one then I use the big one. If it is only just too big for the small one hold the big one at 45 degrees when you tap it. I've had medium sizes but don't use them. (Mostly I do it in my fingers).

Ceers,

C.

Why is medium "Safe"? Never found hair stackers to be particularly dangerous. ;)

Cheers,

C.

I have a slick small (I use it for most of the trout flies or other smaller hair flies I tie) and a big one I use for big flies. My guess is you would be fine with either so long as one was small given your doing some little stuff.

I have all three sizes, all have their uses. For OP I recommend small and medium. If you tie bigger bucktails, then the big one.

I don't know about you folks, but i have a hair stacker that is dangerous...lol...it is a little top heavy and has the annoying habit of falling over and rolling off of my tying table....don't know how many times I have bumped my head reaching down for it...just too lazy to roll my chair back a few inches....so, it is probably not the stacker, but me...I've known that for a while, when I played Rugby my nickname was "Crash"....

35 mm film container cut in half works fine. Used it for 10 to 12 years before I finally got a store bought stacker.

I personally have gotten away from any metal or plastic stackers because of static getting on my nerves. I live in a VERY arid part of the country...as if you can't tell by the giant fires all around this part of Colorado, so it might just be a local problem. But getting wooden stackers that are not coated (just natural wood finish) seems to reduce my fighting static cling in the hairs. This is really noticeable when trimming.

H I am new at tying the stacker i got with my kit has a 2 inch deep base and the hair get lost in it and I mess it back up getting it out or it get stuck in the funnel, would I be better of with a midge stacker. The hair I am using is calf tail, it is shorter and kinky.