Fly Tying
letumgo

Field Testing the Shaman Lance (Streamer by Kelly "Kelkay" Lov

Kelly recently sent me some beautiful streamers. The streamers are called a "Shaman Lance", and is of her own design. Fortunately she sent me several flies, so I succum to the temptation to actually fish one of these beauties.

002.JPG

006.JPG

012.JPG

Shaman Lance Streamer pattern designed and tyed by Kelly Lovelady.

Hook: Daiichi 2340 size 6 (optional size 2-14)

Thread: Black

Tail: Red Schlappen

Body: Large flat mylar (embossed is fine too)

Underwing: One white saddle feather tied in flat

Wing One: PolarFlash-Pearl

Wing Two: Fluorofibre-Mackerel Blue

Overwing: Teal Flank (tyed in flat over the back of the fly)

Throat-Red Schlappen

Head: Black tying thread

Eyes: Hand painted

I am glad I did! I caught my first smallmouth bass of the year and it was a DANDY! This guy slammed the fly like a ton of bricks, then put up a great fight.

022.JPG

023.JPG

024.JPG

029.JPG

THANK YOU KELLY!

Nice in both accounts fish and fly! Creek looks nice too!

Ray, I am so very pleased that my fly did well for you. This is very exciting to hear. Congrats on that nice fish, and the first Smallie of the year too. It was an honor for me, for you to try my fly out. Thank you Ray. I am tickled pink. :-)

Sweet! Great looking fly and a dandy of a fish for sure! You'll have to mount the picture and one of the flies in a small shadow box. Nice pics of her fly btw.

Kirk

Thanks guys. I forgot to say that before. I was so surprised that Ray posted pics and all, that I was not thinking straight...lol. I want to go to the Blue River and try this fly out. Our lakes are still very low from the drought we've had for about 3 years now. I will be glad when the fish come back up. We rarely see any Smallies where I fish.

that is a great fly. I like the use of the flat feathers instead of pairs side by side. Kelly,Ray, how does it behave in any flow tied like that?

Sweet fly Kelly, and great post and pics Ray! I'll be stealing that pattern Kelly....LOL

Murray

(nice smallie too Ray)

Great looking streamer and gorgeous brown bass! I love teal flank barring. That will be a great pattern to add to my small stream box, I'm adding this one to my to-do list!

that is a great fly. I like the use of the flat feathers instead of pairs side by side. Kelly,Ray, how does it behave in any flow tied like that?

Well, the flat wing folds over the top when it is wet. The fibers of schlappen give movement, as well as the polar flash. There is no way a fish will miss seeing it in the water. I have not used it on a river, so I can't tell you about that yet. It is a light fly, but if you want to add weight to it, you certainly can. The amount of fluoro fibre is very small. It is mainly to give a touch of blue, and shine. I was very generous with the polar flash though. Polar Flash has great movement, and flash. I like the pearl for this pattern. I also like the lighter color lower, then put the blue fluoro fibre on top, before the teal wing is placed on top.

I'll have a look and see how it swims in the flow. I think the seatrout will love it, especially this colour scheme.

flat top duck works fine in rivers

best fly I know of that has 1 is the zoo cougar

this fly looks like some old streamers I saw in a book

its a very good looking fly