Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
IcecreamStPete

Southwest Florida Rod and Reel (Budget)

Might do well for small to medium snook, red fish and trout, wouldn't use it for tarpon, prolly undergunned for that, probably light for permit and Jack trevally also, could work for bone fish and flounder also. Way too light for sharks. So it depends what you are targeting.

While i am not a saltwater fisher, i was wondering how you liked the konic for saltwater? have read reports it doesnt hold up well with salt water ( it being casted...not machined )? I got one for my 4 wt. earlier this year and the drags are simply nice.

We routinely use 8wts for tarpon up to about 40 lbs... and have been doing that for many years. Yes, a bit heavier rod , a 9wt, might be a bit more appropriate but the night time scene in Biscayne Bay allows us to jump as many as a 10 or more fish in five hours so you get a bit of practice.... Of course we do have the luxury of chasing the fish with the boat if things get out of hand. If you're on foot then I'd stick to baby tarpon with an 8wt (less than 20lbs). Not familiar with the reel you've mentioned but if it will hold 200 yds of 20lb Micron backing then you're in business. How it will hold up long term is another matter entirely.. You can greatly extend the usable life of a modest quality reel by carefully waxing and buffing off all of the exterior surfaces before that first salt excursion.

For my own uses I generally restrict the flies I toss with an 8wt to no more than a 1/0 (and smaller hooks are better with a light rod). If we're working up close to downed trees and things then I will go up to a 2/0size but I'd prefer a 9wt for that purpose. After each session on the salt I'd want to strip the fly line off of the reel down to the backing then rinse it thoroughly in freshwater (not a hard stream just a gentile rinse until the reel is thoroughly soaked and the fly line as well, along with the every portion of your fly rod -particularly the guides. I never wait for things to dry -just wind the line back on wet, back the drag to zero and allow the rod and reel to air dry a day or two before putting it away (my own gear, a 7wt all the way up to a 12wt never gets put away and never has the rod dis-assembled unless absolutely necessary -my gear sees hard use....). By the way... resist any temptation to use soap of any kind on your fly reel since you don't want to remove any existing lubricants. After the reel dries a tiny drop or two of fine gun oil on any moving parts is all that's required (I prefer Gunslik or Break Free - avoid "3 in 1" oil at all costs since it turns to varnish over time).

Hope this helps...

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666