Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
brianbailey1000

Whiting Saddle-Yellow Sally's

What's the best way to go for size #14-#16 Yellow Sally (LIght Ginger). A cape or a saddle. I'm thinking a saddle but unsure. I can't think of another pattern at the moment I would use this color, so primarily interested in size's above. Thank you.

Clarification. I am really wondering what size's you generally get with a saddle? I recently received a 1/4 Saddle that specifically is titled size #14 and smaller. Most of the feathers seem to be towards the size #20 size. I'm just wondering about a standard Whiting Saddle (not titled #14 and smaller).

You'll get limited numbers of feathers with either in those sizes. If that's the only sizes you're tying & the only pattern you use that color for, perhaps Whiting 100's would be a better choice.

Saddles give you a narrower range of sizes but much more usable hackle. You can get saddles to tie any size you like, but the range of feathers on that saddle will only cover 2 or 3 hook sizes. How many flies do you want? I tie a lot of Double Badgers and would estimate that I get 6 - 8K flies from one Badger hackle saddle Do you really want that many? You may be best finding someone who already has one and swapping a half dozen feathers for something you have and they don't. Or ,and I don't know if they are still available, look for a Whiting's 100s pack.

I don't have a ginger saddle, but I do have lots of golden badger which are about as yellow a hackle as you will get without dying.

Cheers,

C.

Good point. Ginger is only available not Light Ginger in the 100's pack from J Stockard. Wondering if thats too dark.

Should work fine. If you can find it, light dun works as well.

However, at $20 a pack, those 100 packs are not the deal they used to be. I'd give them a call and see if they can size a 1/4 saddle in light ginger for you to the size you need -- only reliable way to do this is to take the feathers out and look at them. Make sure they know the size(s) you are looking for.

Good point. Ginger is only available not Light Ginger in the 100's pack from J Stockard. Wondering if thats too dark.

However, at $20 a pack, those 100 packs are not the deal they used to be. I'd give them a call and see if they can size a 1/4 saddle in light ginger for you to the size you need -- only reliable way to do this is to take the feathers out and look at them. Make sure they know the size(s) you are looking for.

This. 20$ a pack is approaching the price I can get a neck for. I wish they were cheaper, as they are nice and convenient... but that's just too steep, indeed.

10$ a pack? I'd buy loads of them. Please? Whiting? =(

Pm Ebrant and see when he thinks his badger will be ready. The samples of his saddles I have are superb and the cape I brought is better than my whiting Prograde.

I just checked the feathers on my Metz Microbarb ginger saddle. The feathers are predominantly 12 to 14, but there are some smaller and some larger. Feather colour is not as uniform as a Whiting which in this case is a benefit as one has a range to select from: Light ginger to Light brown. If you have trouble finding what you want I'd be happy to swap a few.

This. 20$ a pack is approaching the price I can get a neck for. I wish they were cheaper, as they are nice and convenient... but that's just too steep, indeed.

10$ a pack? I'd buy loads of them. Please? Whiting? =(

Since the hair craze, you will never see a 100 pk at $10 again, in fact they were selling @ $12 - $14 when the salons ruined it.