Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dryfly purist

Nikon D800 i da house :-) ..... macro test pictures.

A few days ago i got my new Nikon D800. I really think this camera has great potential for macro photos.

This is a test i took this evening. I used a SB800 flash and i´m going to get a Softbox to soften the image but this is just meant as a test. The light is far to hard on this picture but i was only looking for

how the sharpness and details are looking on small objects when i was to crop the photo 100%.

I found a really small fly of some kind sitting on a small leaf. This is taken with my Nikon 60mm f2,8 macro lens.

I was hoping to see how good the focus was set and if it was possible to crop the picture and still see the fly quite sharp and focused.

I think it looks really promising but i got to get a soft box to soften the image and also i have to learn more about the camera and basically more about macro photo....... but man..... it´s really really great fun to

explore this universe. Looking forward to learn more in the years to come :-)

This is the original photo:

8927662949_9723ea1cc2_b.jpg

The fly cropped 100%:

8927660993_62702f759b_b.jpg

A flower of some kind with a drop of water hanging from it :-)

8927935547_b5b1b38d99_b.jpg

Terje

Awesome pics. Are you holding the camera or using a tripod? Look forward to the rest of your pics.

Awesome pics. Are you holding the camera or using a tripod? Look forward to the rest of your pics.

Thank a lot, Piker20 :-) :-)

I had to use a tripod, i like to go as close as i can get with the lens and it´s really hard to keep the camera steady handhold to get the right focus.

It´s much easier to succeed with a tripod, at least on objects as small as this fly :-)

Terje

Excellent! Macro is a fascinating area in photography to explore. A never ending list of images right under our noses, but that usually go unnoticed. One of the most challenging areas of photography, also. Have fun with it.

Happy new camera Terje.

If I could come up with the funds I'd get the same. The problem is I would have to upgrade my computer as well. THE FILE SIZE of the images can be enormous! (Almost 100mbs per image). And lets face it, you are not going to pay that for a camera, and then turn the quality settings down.

Enjoy it Terje, I look forward to seeing more.

For me its back to doing the lottery, and dreaming.

Cheers,

C.

Looking forward to many more photos from you Terje, loving what you have done so far!

Murray

Nice pics, Terje, sounds like you are a very happy man. smile.png

As far as your comment about a softbox: Thought that I would jump in and offer a strong recommendation, for you. The Lastolite Ezybox Hot Shoe Softbox is fantastic, will work great for your macro desire, yet versatile enough to use for other shoots. I, personally, have 5 of just these softboxes and cannot praise them enough! This particular model is designed with an internal baffle that help to spread the light before it hits the scrim, resulting in some fantastic diffused property. When used and placed properly, you will find that the wraparound lighting effect is brilliant. I know that it cost a bit more but they truly are worth every penny, their other products are great too! I have to many to mention them all but will share that the only product, that I am not over joyed with, are their round reflectors, still work good though. Their main HQ is located in the UK and I believe they have been bought out by Manfrotto so, you can find these in the European Market easily.

Thanks a lot to you all for your kind comments :-) :-)

Crackaig:

The files shot in RAW format is about 70mb so their really large. D800 has 36,6 megapixels but that was actually the reason i bought it. I got a 3TB hard disk on my iMac and also a 1TB external hard disk so there should be more than enough room

for storing the images :-)

Ben:

Thanks a lot for your advice on soft box. I have already looked at the Lastolite Ezybox Hot Shoe Softbox among lots of others as well :-) I will certainly take your advice into consideration before i make my final choice :-)

Terje

Terje-

Excellent photo! And Congratulations on the new camera. For macro, besides the tripod, I would recommend that you get a macro slider rail which has helped me immensely in ensuring that I have a great focus on my subject. Enables me to make minute adjustments without disturbing the camera and settings.

Please keep posting your photos.

Thanks

Bill

Terje-

Excellent photo! And Congratulations on the new camera. For macro, besides the tripod, I would recommend that you get a macro slider rail which has helped me immensely in ensuring that I have a great focus on my subject. Enables me to make minute adjustments without disturbing the camera and settings.

Please keep posting your photos.

Thanks

Bill

Thanks a lot Bill, and thanks for the recommendation :-)

Terje