Fly Tying
Horseshoes

Classic Freshwater Streamers

I went out to a surplus store yesterday and bought a metal cabinet. Each drawer holds in place cards, well I thought.. I could put the classics in here. Place them on the card with info and slide it shut. After hauling the small ( 1' x 10" x 2') but heavy (all metal) filing cabinet home using my luggage dolly, I counted and can get over 200 in this cabinet.

So now I am going to start tying the classic streamers designed by Carrie Stevens, Arthur Libby, Ian Cameron, Monte Smith, Bill Hrinko, Ed Wolfer, Charlie Mann, Bob Upham, Bill Chandler, Gray Wolf, Garret Booth, Mike Martinek Jr., Henry Northridge, Ed Bendl, Lew Oatman, Ed Muzzy Muzeroll and Ron McKusick. For a start. LOL.blink.png

I have a lot of the material and ordered a few more. Just looking for the hooks now. This is an endeavor that I have been acquiring materials and training in the ties for. I hope I can create flies of some quality for my collection. I feel like I am about to take my training wheels off. They may be big and scarce of materials more so than the salmon classics but it just means my mistakes will be more visible. So I have to take my time and read and re-read as I go.

One thing I read was that it is not a crime to change them up and create my own if the materials are not available or hard to find. So it is nice to know there is a way around it. So wish me luck, I will start with flies of my level and work my way through them as my abilities allow.

Shame they will shut in a drawer after you've tied them. Keep us upto date on your progress.

Hey Horseshoes......This sounds like a great undertaking......I assume that you are planning to only tie a couple of each pattern so when you run into a rare material you could post your need here and I bet that you might get a small donation so that a given pattern could be followed. Just a thought. Hopefully you share your collection with us all as you progress.

Thank you for the input and advice. I am going to check the hooks and thanks for the idea of giving a shout when having problems finding materials. I am now trying to pick one that I have all the materials for. If you are really interested I will put pictures of them as I finish them. I also have to look for some cards to fit them and the info. But I think I will wait for a finished fly, that will give me a better idea of the card size. Thanks..

I am one of the old farts here and I am no history buff but I do enjoy seeing the old stuff. My first tying book was the Herter's book and it had no pics and I had no idea what any of the patterns looked like. Oh yea, post them. You will get no complaints

Horseshoes, by all means post them. There is also a spin-off of this forum. It is www.classicflytying.com and has a streamer & wet fly section. Full of postings of classic streamers by some of the best tyers out there. Also, a site devoted strictly to streamer tying is

www.streamerlist.com (this is the best site).

Good luck, I look forward to seeing some of your flies.

Yes, you must post them now we are all excited! Also fish them, you may be quite surprised. Or if they need testing one of the many keen anglers here would be willing to help!

OK Here is my first. I have to say I was nervous and took my time. I need to do better work on the head. Looks like it is time to get out the magnifying glass

Carrie Stevens - Canary Custom

post-15490-0-58147900-1371599640_thumb.jpg

post-15490-0-05628300-1371599682_thumb.jpg

Oh wow, awesome work!

Thanks everyone, riff I don't know they are just a few I had been given. The shank is about 1 3/4". it works OK till I get the new ones. Not sure how strong they are. But this is being carded anyways so it will do.