Fly Tying
JimCoraci

renzetti vise annoyance - seeking a hack

Firstly, I like my renzetti rotary vise, w/ one exception: their style of having the vertical post of the far end only engage the shaft in one direction.

see attached photo, the "post" I mean being the far left brass piece.

its a signature of their vises, but having cut my teeth on dyna-kings, i just prefer that post to work in both directions; my QUESTION: has anyone here successfully tweaked the vise to engage the shaft in both directions? I can guess there a simple way to "fix" the post to the shaft so that it turns it both ways.

thanks!

post-41618-0-90381400-1371412246_thumb.jpg

I just tightened down the screw and my vise rotates in either direction. The ratchet is a nice idea but like you, I'd rather do it myself.

I just tightened down the screw and my vise rotates in either direction.

Bingo! That's how I've done it

I never understood why they did that. All it did was limit the vise, and make it more expensive. My fix was to buy a Griffin Montana Mongoose. The rotary crank is the way to go.

Thanks folks for the input. I simply loosened it, wrapped a rubberband tight around the shaft, tightened it back down, and its now 2-way and tight as drum. Perfect hack!

I will caliper the post and replace w/ a proper fitting black o-ring and it'll look factory fresh again.

Jim

...but all you had to do is just tighten the screw that holds the handle on. I have both a Presentation 4000 and a Traveler. They both work the same way.

I always assumed Renzetti made the vise like this on purpose so you could have the option of either a one-way ratchet or do it yourself two way rotation. Maybe I'm wrong. Like phg, I use to have a traveler and now have a 4000 and they both operate the same way. I don't know if Renzetti makes a rotary crank but then I don't think I'd like it very much. It probably depends on what kind of flies you're tying.

hand tight and mine didnt work that way. I didnt want to take a tool to add more torque, and I feared I'd strip a thread, mar the handle, or both.

i am happier w/ a 25cent o-ring being my wear part.