Fly Tying
switch10

So, why doesn't everyone just use furled leaders??

Yeah I'm sold.

I've happily fished knotted, and knot less leaders for the past 20 years, but I don't see myself going back to them for 90% of the fishing I do. Maybe I'll buy, or knot up a 4x tapered leader for the few times per year I pull out my sinking line, but that's about it.

While fishing yesterday, I realized how nice it was replacing those 10 spools of tippet that I've always carried around (in case I ever needed to build a special leader, ha!) with just 3 spools. It really reduced the bulk on my pack.

I can definitely see how furled leaders are just not practical for some types of fishing (I always forget not everyone is after trout on a river with floating line), but they are perfect for me, and there's no way I'm paying $5 per leader ever again.

If you want to try a furled leader to see if you like them, there are several videos on YouTube showing the process without any tools or jigs. The whole process takes about 10 minutes total. Enjoy.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Just caught this thread, hope I'm not too late!

I've been making/selling furled leaders for a few years, now, and I can tell you that I will never fish a mono or fluorocarbon leader again. As was said before, furled leaders work by transferring the energy of your cast more efficiently then mono/fluoro, because it has more weight/mass. They are far more supple, and have zero memory. I no longer even carry my leather patch for straightening leaders!

As far as being a 'one trick pony', that simply is not true. Yes, furled leaders tend to cast perfectly straight, and that doesn't always work when you're in water with different currents. However, I've been working on a prototype with a member of another forum to overcome this. He fishes the Henry's Fork a lot, and needed a leader to make, dump, roll, and junk casts. He's currently using a 109" trout weight, and it casts exactly how he wants it to. I accomplished this by modifying the taper, and he seems to be quite pleased with it. Not bad, considering he didn't like furled leaders before!

I also do a lot of custom work, especially for salmon fishermen. I'm currently working on a batch of 13' and 10' sinking leaders. That's a lot of thread, let me tell you!

Check out my site if you want to learn more, or to see what I offer. www.zenoutfitters.com

Jaime

Nice topic.

I`m from Norway, and we used leaders like this also.....in the 1980.. :)

A tipical leader for troutfishers here are Hends Camou leader 4.5 meter. with 1.5 meter with tippet. 6 meters i total....about.

If you have trouble casting this leader streight, you have to take a castinglesson, or practise some more.

There are NO benefits whats or ever using furled leaders today. i use monoleaders, 6 meters (6.56 Yards) on casts from 0 Yards and up to 30 Yards. Overhead, snakeroll and speycast.

I used furled leaders some years ago, but today, that`s just a part to make thing more difficult. No benefits at all!! :)

I tried using one here in Florida, was not well suited for fishing the vegetation we have here, it picked up a lot of the junk in the water and did not float well, so I went back to tying my own leaders. But a lot of people love using them, so it's a personal choice.

I use furled leaders just about all the time. I use thread leaders from Cutthroat, which I am satisfied with so haven't changed. Here are the advantages they give for me, in no particular order

• I can flip the line out more easily; the delicacy of my roll cast has improved
  • They seem to help the fly land more quietly
  • my accuracy has, without a doubt, improved
  • one spool of tippet is all I need.
  • no wind knots
  • no memory
  • they seem to help me mend better
  • One leader will last me all year, or more. I typically used to go through a tapered leader each trip, maybe two. Two and a half of those, and I've paid for my furled leader.

I clean mine in mild soap solution every few trips, and before use always apply floatant, which eliminates any spray, in my experience. but yes, it requires some maintenance for optimal performance.

Practically speaking, all of my fishing is either for bluegill and small bass in the local pond or for trout up in the small streams of the Driftless Area, so cannot speak to using them for tarpon or big bass, or salmon/steelhead. Thinking back on the days when I lived in Oregon, though, I wouldn't hesitate to use them for steelies.

I am convinced they are not a fad or one trick pony, but others' mileage may vary

I had a very nice fellow member send me one to use. My only real complaint was the amount of water it throws. I wear glasses, and every pick up would splatter my glasses. I spent too much time cleaning that off, so I don't use it anymore.

yes, i used furled leaders that are made with 8/0 UNI thread. they are conducive to the way i fish and where i fish. as another member has already said, i only carry 3 spools of tippet now, and have to spend $5 a season instead of $5 a trip -- very economical. to be completely honest, idk if i catch more fish with a mono leader or a furled leader. but i do know that i catch fish just the same and if i take care of them, can last me seasons. if you've never tried them, i recommend that you do, most people i know seem to love them. also that way, you'll know if you like them or not.

i've never bothered to learn, OP, but there are plenty of DIY videos kicking around the interwebs that show how to make jigs and different leader materials and such.

Horses for courses. Trout and grayling fishing on rivers I use them. On the lochs they do not give me any advantage over a knot less tapered leader. The only advantage I can get between the two is a smoother line to leader connection with the mono knot less tapered leader. I'll go for any advantage I can get, so that's why I use those in that situation.

If you want to start making them beware! I have heard more bull talked about making furled leaders than just about anything else in fly fishing, and that is saying something. It is a really simple process, made complicated by all the rubbish people spout. To give you an idea how simple now when I demonstrate making a furled leader I use, A pair of scissors, A latched hook from a knitting machine (to form the loops in the ends), A dubbing spinner, and several empty bottles from behind the nearest bar! That is it. You don't need formulae and complicated jigs. Yes if you are serious about making a supply you can build the equipment to make it easier, I have. The point is, it is the same technique used by South American people to make rope for their bridges from grass. Rocket science it aint!

Cheers,
C.

Guest rich mc

I just started using a furled leader this year for my heavier flies. it made a world of difference I cast better farther with less work . I picked a few up from streamside leaders who were at an ISA fly casting event. rich mc

A furled leader will last at least a full season and there is no memory problem. If one ever gets a wind knot in one it is very easy to remove. ( of course I never get any wind knots ) ...I make a short 5' out of 4# mono and one out of 6# mono. I use the 4# on my light rods for my small streams and the 6# on my 6wt, 7wt, 8wt rods. I made one out of thread and I did not care for it so I have made no more. I fish warm water and use wet flies, streamers, poppers, and craft foam flies. Some with bead chain eyes and small lead barbells. They do take a lot of line to fabricate. These 5'ers require at least 30 yds. of mono. I do some times still use hand tied leaders for the salt but they are just a butt and a tippet.

Figured I would post this here instead of starting a new topic.

So I have been researching how to make my own furled leaders and was wondering if anyone had any tips? I like the thread ones over mono/nylon.

This is what i came up with so far.

post-52500-0-02860500-1420491739_thumb.jpg

I remember several years ago they were all the rage out here in CO. I have yet to try one, but may do so soon.

Not a making tip but something I realised when I started making them. Always roll them up the same way when you finish them. That way there is no confusion when you get to the water and need to unroll one. Also it is easier, especially when it is cold, to mess around with the thick end than the thin end. That means that I always start to roll from the thin end to the thick end, and loop the thick end through (the same number of times every time). These don't just apply to furled leaders but all leaders.

On making them.

• If you make stanchions, rather than a jig, the variation in leaders you can make is limitless.
  • The easy way to measure the amount of twist in the legs before furling is by how much the legs contract when you twist them.
  • Ensure your work surface is a good height so you can stand upright while working on them. I use a plank of wood placed atop my ironing board to get enough height.

On using them.

• Never pass a length of mono through the loop and knot. Always make a loop in the mono and form a loop to loop connection. A single strand of mono, when pulled, exerts shear force on the loop. This will cut through the loop. A loop to loop, when pulled, if correctly formed, exerts compressive force on the loop.
  • If you want a furled leader that floats put the floatant into the ziplok bag you keep the leader in,
  • Always apply floatant to a dry thread leader. If you want to use one sunk use a different leader. (A leader made of Kevlar tying thread, untreated, will turn a floating line into a sink tip).

That's about all that springs to mind. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers,

C.

I've been watching this thread with some interest - thanks to everyone for the lively discussion.

I do have a quick question: I tried a furled leader (0-3 wt Cutthroat Ultimate Dry Fly) on my 3 Wt this year. I fish a river that typically has casts <40 ft but that requires 3' of 7x/8x tippet due to pressure and water clarity. I had trouble getting the leader to rollout the light tippet.

My question: is this likely caused by casting issues (wouldn't be a surprise) or am I asking to much of the leader by tying 8x tippet directly to the tiny ring at the end of this leader? If it's the later, I suppose I could taper the tippet (e.g. start with 5x and work down to 7x) but it feels like that defeats one of the major benefits of the furled leader.