Fly Tying
switch10

So, why doesn't everyone just use furled leaders??

I'm not for or against, but when I took a look at the concept I thought the idea was redundant when combined with a tapered fly line. I could be dead wrong, but isn't the idea of the fly line front taper to decelerate the speed of the forward cast for a delicate presentation of the fly? To me the furled leader adds more weight back to the equation and speeds up the turnover or doesn't slow it down as is intended with the design of the tapered fly line.
Anyways...I would definitely be inclined to use one if the end of my fly line was level without a taper, a level line. A level fly line now having a front taper with a furled transition.
I've never tried it but, The user claim of fishing a 5-6 foot tippet with the furled leader just didn't compute. A dry fly on 6x tippet that long I see all over the place. I'd have to see the claims in action to be convinced.
As far as sinking leaders....not for me, I want them to float. I need that design to make my casting easier, specifically the pick-up. I also use the leader as my tell when nymphing (no Indicator). I don't watch the end of my fly line , I watch the point the leader enters the water. If I just watched the end of the fly line I'm afraid I would only catch the fish that hooked itself. I actually grease the butts of my leaders when fishing.

I said I make the leaders (butt and mid section) 5-6 feet long. I use 24 or so inches of tippet.

You can read more about the advantages and disadvantages here: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/readerscast/rc185.php

Sorry Switch...I communicated badly about the 5-6 ft tippets. It was not directed at you but it's something I read on all the forums. By "user" I meant the guys who use the leader.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I don't think 6 feet of tippet would cast very well at all.

I use furled leaders exclusively when fishing for trout, regardless of the size. My normal leader is made from 8/0 Uni-Thread, but for larger fish, I do sometimes use .004" mono.

The only problem I've ever had is when fishing a lot of weight. The furled leader has a lot of stretch in it, so heavily weighted double nymph rigs can be hard to bring to the surface and recast (I'd definitely suggest switching to mono for such conditions). For dry flies and smaller nymphs, though, there's no such problem.

For tippet length, is is not uncommon for me to have 48" to 60" of tippet attached to the end of an 6' furled leader. The energy transfer from the leader to the tippet is excellent, and I have never had a problem getting the tippet to straighten. I normally use 4x tippet, stepping down to 5x for smaller flies. I only use 6x for tying on a dropper.

Looks like yet another item I didn't know I needed until it became all the rage. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sure looks like a glorified Bimini twist to me.

Looks like yet another item I didn't know I needed until it became all the rage. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sure looks like a glorified Bimini twist to me.

Hahaha, in my eyes it is just a glorified fly line extender. I belive the flyline will turn over a fly without the need for it, that is what it was designed to do. As fly anglers tho, we really do some completely un neccesary stuff.

Nice! I really want to build a jig to start making the UNI thread ones for dry fly fishing!

Just curious,...how are you currently furling your mono leaders?

Potential downside: Streamside shrubbery can really grab onto furled leaders. Probably only an issue if you have jumping bushes in your casting lane, though.

I am a simple angler. I use 6# up to 12# mono from fly line to fly. No tapers, no tippets ... just one piece of mono. I can change it if I get an "air knot" in it, if it gets too short (from changing flies and retying out air knots) whatever. Cheap, works well with the bluegill and bass flies I fish with.

I did try a furled leader a person sent me ... and I agree with previous comments. I found it pulled water with it and sprayed it all over me as I backcasted. It made some odd noises as it hit the water. I don't know if it bothered or scared the fish, I caught fish with it, and with the rods without it. It did seem heavier to clear from teh water after working the fly, so I know it held water, thus weight. I only used it for a couple of weekends before I got tired of it.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Bugsy" data-cid="555601" data-time="1371843834"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="switch10" data-cid="555551" data-time="1371825636"><p>Nice! I really want to build a jig to start making the UNI thread ones for dry fly fishing!</p></blockquote>

Just curious,...how are you currently furling your mono leaders?<br />

<br />

Potential downside: Streamside shrubbery can really grab onto furled leaders. Probably only an issue if you have jumping bushes in your casting lane, though.</p></blockquote>

I'm just furling them by hand. I let the tag ends hang off the side of my porch so they can spin freely. It takes me about 10 minutes or so to complete one.

To address those above who think that leaders are just another thing that you don't need: having a leader of any type is much better than straight mono, I think most everyone would agree with that. Maybe some fish don't mind a coiled mess of line slapping the water, but you will never catch a single fish out here like that, and that's a guarantee.

Leaders are a necessity for me, and furled leaders are the best performing, cheapest option in my opinion.

I am a simple angler. I use 6# up to 12# mono from fly line to fly. No tapers, no tippets ... just one piece of mono. I can change it if I get an "air knot" in it, if it gets too short (from changing flies and retying out air knots) whatever. Cheap, works well with the bluegill and bass flies I fish with.

I did try a furled leader a person sent me ... and I agree with previous comments. I found it pulled water with it and sprayed it all over me as I backcasted. It made some odd noises as it hit the water. I don't know if it bothered or scared the fish, I caught fish with it, and with the rods without it. It did seem heavier to clear from teh water after working the fly, so I know it held water, thus weight. I only used it for a couple of weekends before I got tired of it.

but...but...but...Mike, you are using tapers unless you are using a level fly line. The taper is in the fly line.

Sorry to studder on you....we're still buds aren't we.

Hahaha, coiled mess....someone needs some casting lessons, i can cast 10 - 12 ft of straight mono, fluoro and get it to turn over exactly the same as a furled leader, and sometimes with a huge ass intruder attached, go figure...

Come fishing with me sometime then bud. If you've rendered the tapered leader useless, I'd like to see your casting skills in action!

Only if i can have the glory after and remove your training wheels leader ;)

so are these "twisted" singapore leaders or fueled leaders made on a board?

twisted leader

singapore1.gif

furled leader board

IMGP15641.JPG

I'm I hand tied leader guy, but I did build a furling board and made a bunch of furled leaders from a variety of materials. All the criticisms about sinking and water spray are true, but for me that was not the big problem. I think the greatest weakness of furled leaders is what actually fuels their popularity. They turn over very easily and lay out laser straight with almost no effort. The fact that you can turn them over and cast the leader by holding it in your hand and flipping your wrist tells you that these are just extensions of the fly line taper (as someone already pointed out). Therefore even the worst caster can turn over the fly lay out the tippet and place it with a high degree of precision. The problem is that is the last thing I want for more than 90% of my casting. I want curves and slack in my leader. I want to control how the leader behaves and finesse the location of the fly and the slack line to suit the conditions. I always adjust my leaders when fishing depending on wind, obstacles, fly size etc and will shorten the middle or lengthen the butt just as much as I adjust the tippet. You simply can't do this with a furled leader. They are easy to cast, but they are a one trick pony and I don't want that trick.

However, if they are working for you, go fish and enjoy.

Mike.

I don't make any, so the one's I've tried were purchased. The cost can be a disadvantage, but I've only paid about $5 to $7 for the ones I have & for the use I've gotten out of them, it's a good value IMO. I also tie my own leaders & have several spools of line, so from a cost perspective, I've spent a lot more for the one's I tie. I justify the cost, because I also use the same line on some of my baitcasters & spinning reels. rolleyes.gif

I like the furled leaders for some types of waters, like rivers or streams where the algae problems don't exist, and I don't fish with dry flies very much so if they sink, that's not an issue. But for some of the tidal backwaters I fish, were I might be tossing flies into snags or Spadderdock pads, I don't think a furled leader is the right tool for the job, particularly since I'm often using 20lb test tippets, which would likely have a higher breaking strength than the leaders.

so are these "twisted" singapore leaders or fueled leaders made on a board?

twisted leader

singapore1.gif

furled leader board

IMGP15641.JPG

Yeah, I'm using a method similar to the twisted Singapore leaders, although I don't tie them like that. It looks like the output is pretty much the same though...