Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sc100

The Nor-vice (feed back please)

Hi

I have been looking at this vice for a while now, ok its on the costley side when you start adding in a couple of bobbins and spair spools but a nice slick vice all in all.

How many people have one and what are the major pluses and the draw backs bearing in mind i do a lot of tying.

thanks

F70A1459_zpsf830cc9f.jpg

I've had my Nor-Vise since the late 80's... recently upgraded to the new jaws... BRILLIANT !!!

NO regrets... 'Just Do It...!!!

I have had mine almost as long as Peter, it came with aluminum arbors, and the jaws closed with two screws. I eventually sent mine back to get the hole drilled for the gallows tool, and new jaws. At that time Norm upgraded my arbors to the brass arbors. I have the fine point jaws, and the standard in-line jaws. I am still using the vise 20+ years later, and have stopped using anything else. I obviously like it, or I would switch to something else. I have seen other vises that do similar things but none that do some of the things the Nor-vise does.

My FIRST suggestion, is to get to a shop, or show where you can see one and try it out.

They are top quality, durable, and well made. I occasionally polish up the brass, and put a drop of oil on the bearings, and its in fine shape.

Some people don't like the horizontal jaw alignment, but I have no problem tying down to a size 20 on the standard jaws. The only time I use the fine point jaws is when I am tying a lot of small patterns. I tend to tie small flies in bunches and stockpile them, so I rarely swap out the jaws more than once or twice a year.

Now that I do much more Warm water and Salt water tying, I might get the large in-line jaws, but the standard jaws have been handling up to a 3/0 hook just fine.

The fact that I sold my Regal, and Renzetti, then gave away 4 or 5 other vises, should tell you that I am satisfied with the performance over time. I have yet to tie on any other vise that I have liked better.

I spin dubbing, and dubbing brushes on the vise, I wind bodies, ribs and hackle by rotating the vise. I place even very small hackle by rotating the vise.

I have a Dyna-King Sidewinder (even more expensive,) that just sits on the back of my bench. It rarely gets used for anything but picture taking, and a drying rack. I built my Nor-vise into my tying desk, and have three "traveling" bases strategically placed with friends and relatives so I can just pack the vise when I visit them on extended fishing trips.

The only other "vise" I use is my hand.

About two months ago, I was able to purchase a NorVise and accessories at wholesale(I wish I could share this deal, but I cannot).

I'm am still awaiting delivery, it all should have been shipped two weeks ago, but is sitting at my "friends" place. He tells me he can deliver it on Thursday in person(I think he spent the money I included to cover postage from his place to mine). Unfortunately, I'll be 300 miles away standing in a river waving a stick on Thursday. The anticipation is killing me.

Hi everybody!

I was considering the purchase of a NorVise as well, and for quite a while........... but then decided on another vice. I truely believe the NorVice is an excellent piece of equipment. However I feel that the Nor is just not for me, the reminent aspect of fly-tying gets a bit lost IMO.

Cheers, Obi

I was at the British Fly Fair International show last weekend where i watched some very good demos on it, later on i went back to the demo area and there was no body watching at the time so i was aloud to have a go on it, so i have tryed it and loved it. Certanally makes life easy when applying dubbing on to your thread.

its one of those hate it or like it vises

try b4 u buy!

Good advice here from flytire!

I've had mine for over 5 yrs now and wouldn't even consider giving it up!

I've had mine since Christmas. I love it. I also have a Dyna king and a renzetti and i never use them. This is like a lathe. It's amazing.

Jeremy