Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
hopperfisher

September Montana, Idaho, etc. trip

Hi everyone, looking fo some advice on a trip I'm trying to plan. I want to go to Montana or Idaho or some such place in September and fish with big bushy dry flies for super aggressive trout. Does it sound like I'm asking for the world that we all wanna live in? Well, I am. Any ideas are appreciated!! Thanks guys!

For west slope cutts, Kelly Creek, off the North Fork of the Clearwater in Idaho. My favorite September spot out there. Just plan on camping - it's 50 miles in from either Idaho or Montana.

Rock Creek. 30-45 minutes East of Missoula. St.Joe and the north fork of the Coeur d'Alene river in northern Idaho.

Never been to Kelly Creek, but heard legends about an unspoiled river.

Its is hard to go wrong when talking about fly fishing in Montana... if your wade fishing though you are going to enjoy creeks and tribs more than major rivers. IMO.

Look at a map of the Rocky Mountain Front and find some public access to creeks or smaller rivers there. There are lots of places that hold good numbers of rainbows, brookies, and cutthroat. They may not hold the monsters you see coming out of the Missouri or Bitterroot but you will catch a lot of fish. If catching 50 - 100 smaller fish in a few hours sounds just as fun as landing a handful of big ones, you would be guaranteed a good time.

look into going to yellowstone park in the lamar valley lots of water to fish, slough creek, soda butte and the lamar river I will be there in three weeks but if you decide to go there check the weather last time I was there in August the night we arrived it was 70 degrees the next morning it was 25 and six inches of snow on the ground

I did a lake outside of Wisdom for Brookies and Grayling, Big Hole, Clarks Fork (float trip) and Rocky Creek. In one week. It was awesome.