Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
riffleriversteelheadslayer

swap club 2013 - July

yep, me too. Got them out but watch when you open one of the plastic boxes. There's some little stuff in there for you. My poppers may well be the worst of the bunch but time was really short and these are the first I've done since I was a Cub Scout. Everybody needs a few flies in their box that they're not worried about losing to a toothy critter, and tho they don't look as good as the filled and polished cork bugs, they will catch just as many fish, just not as many fisherman. ;-)

Blane I used to raise hunting dogs. I feel your pain. We have an Italian Greyhound right now. I hope the dog outlives my wife because my wife will not deal well at all with losing the dog. Sounds like we aren't the only ones a little behind, so it's no big deal. Thanks for the update.

-Forrest

Blane I feel your pain brother I had to put down my best rabbit dog I ever had a few years back. I have yet to try to replace her and haven't rabbit hunted since.

As for flies I tied a crease fly patterned after one of my favorite old time pike and bass lures. The old timers might remember it the Bass Oreno

post-10925-0-52727200-1375414700_thumb.jpg

Wow, rrss, I'm looking forward to that. I'm one of those old timers who used the Bass-Oreno in different sizes a lot. That was back when reels spun in both directions, hence the "knucklebuster" terms. Rods were solid glass or bamboo back when bamboo was "cheap", not "chic". Can't wait to see that one.

Flies are in the mail, sorry for being so late, been dealing with kidney stones since Friday, not having fun with it.

Blane

hey just got back from vacation and found out the flies i sent before i left got returned thanks to the lady at the post office doing the postage wrong I will get them back into the mail tomorrow sorry for being late

hey guys just wanted to check in to see if my flies made it don't know if they did or not at this point being the 19th of august I am going to send another batch for the popper swap and pick another pattern to learn and send them at the same time if the first batch of poppers made it there send them out and send the second batch out with august or keep them or whatever

flywhiteguy I haven't recieved yours and these were sorted and shipped on the 18th I'm sorry if you send me a set I will ship them out with augusts flies and make sure you have a set of July's

I never recieved a set from Margaret ann either so everyone is getting 2 of their own flies back

I just got July's flies (poppers) today. Quite a wide variety of ties! Can't wait to try them out.

A special shout out to crackleback on his deerhair popper. Awesome!

Got the poppers today, and believe they are some of the best I've ever seen. Like shoebop said, the crackleback's deer hair is awesome. Don't think my 3 weight will handle it, though.

You guys are making me blush. I just got back in town and mine were waiting for me. These poppers should wreak havoc on the local ponds.

August's flies are going in the mail first thing in the morning. I tied Brown Owl Spiders. I tie and fish a ton of spiders but never learned to do the peacock herl heads until these flies. I subbed hen pheasant for the owl.

-Mike

Crackleback (my favorite dry by the way), you should blush. Putting the rest of to shame that way. Actually, this was an extraordinary set of poppers for 'gills and crappies right on up to bigmouths and stripers. I have to agree tho, Crackleback outdid himself on this one, and, as usual, Nate Dubay found a way to have the most original and unusual pattern in the bunch. I haven't had many swaps I've as happy with the overall quality and usability of all the flies as this one. Thanx guys, these will all be heading toward the local wet spots as soon as 100+ degree temps let up some. That or kick my tired butt out of bed earlier.