Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
muskyhunter81

Midnight Cowboy-Pyramid Lake

Are you sure it's a fly? The two links posted above suggest it is just a popular color to tie a woolly worms with. If it is a fly, chances are you won't find photo's or recipe's of it on the internet. Most of the flies people like to use up there are tied specifically for that lake by local fishermen. I've seen some pretty crazy foam beetle patterns (fished with a sinking line) in the fly boxes at Crosby lodge that I've never seen anywhere else.

If you are planning a trip to Pyramid, do yourself a favor and tie up some big (size #6-10, no joke) midges.

Midnight Cowboy is a black chenille with purple and red reflective speckles. The material is used in numerous fly patterns and is especially popular among Pyramid Lake anglers. Pyramid Lake is an alkaline lake in the high desert of northern Nevada. Midnight cowboy is a common material used on woolly bugger and beetle flies for the large Lahontan cutthroat trout that inhabit the lake. Midnight Cowboy is effective on any pattern that calls for dark colored chenille.

Thanks for the link Flytier.

I used to live in Reno. I have done the ladder thing at the Nets. So I know about the different flies that are used there. I was just wondering if anyone knew the recipe. I think that I will just buy one from the link the Flytier posted and copy it from there. Thanks for the help it is good to know that there is somewhere to get other Tyers Input.

Yes all of the above responses are correct midnight cowboy is just a popular color of chenille used to tie up buggers and wooly worms I live about 45 minutes outside of reno and have defiantly heard good things about that color combo in particular, so much so that at the right time of year it's damn near impossible to find the stuff at cabelas or sportsmans warehouse. The most popular flies out there tend to be buggers or foam beetles with sz. 6-8 mahalo midges tied in red off the back.

although I haven't tied one before it looks stupid simple.. Id say it's nothing more then black 6/0 thread black marabou tail midnight cowboy chenille and black saddle hackle or schlappen..

And the colors are black/blue/red not purple, btw

Neither of these are particularly good examples in my mind, but they do convey the right information. You need some of the blue/red/black mylar chenille for this pattern, which can be hard to find but I have seen marketted under the name "New Age Crystal". Instead of the 3XL or longer hook, use a 2XL or shorter and just up-size to make up the difference (I like the Mustad 3906B). I mostly fish #6-8, but some fish larger. When hackling the fly, use 2-3 strung hackle. The argument for over-hacking is that it kicks up more of a fuss on the bottom during the retreive, while it also keeps the fly out of the sand. Skip the tail as well. Good luck.

Neither of these are particularly good examples in my mind, but they do convey the right information. You need some of the blue/red/black mylar chenille for this pattern, which can be hard to find but I have seen marketted under the name "New Age Crystal". Instead of the 3XL or longer hook, use a 2XL or shorter and just up-size to make up the difference (I like the Mustad 3906B). I mostly fish #6-8, but some fish larger. When hackling the fly, use 2-3 strung hackle. The argument for over-hacking is that it kicks up more of a fuss on the bottom during the retreive, while it also keeps the fly out of the sand. Skip the tail as well. Good luck.

both flies in the links above use the black/blue/red crystal chenille

why not post some photos of your better example of the the fly

i have a card of this chenille that is labeled sp tin chen bb "midnight fire" matspticbb