Fly Tying
Kudu

Gamechanger-Articulated fly/Body material choices

This is an underwater pic I snapped of one I made from junk hook shanks. I used Laser Dub as the body material, total length on this one is smaller, about 4" or so. I did dubbing loops of the Laser Dub and did each section progressively shaggier, more picked out, and brushed out more to give it the tapered profile. It got pretty sick action in the water.

P8050213_zpsed4ce708.jpg

That looks great in the water!

I know the original pattern did not use any weight, but are any of you guys trying these weighted? Will that hinder the action?

I know the original pattern did not use any weight, but are any of you guys trying these weighted? Will that hinder the action?

I think that if you put the weight in the front part, it won't be an issue at all. Not sure though cool.png

i know if i wrap the shank on an ep minnow a fast strip will likely flip it on it's side, perhaps two strips of lead underneath would be okay? A much better idea would be to use a sink tip probably. Experiment and let us know :)

Pat Cohen ties them by stacking the EP Fibers, on the fish skull shanks, then he colors them with markers, would love to try this, but i have no clue how to go about it!

Pat Cohen ties them by stacking the EP Fibers, on the fish skull shanks, then he colors them with markers, would love to try this, but i have no clue how to go about it!

I have started to do the same thing with Congo Hair. Posted a picture on one of these threads. I have had a couple people ask for videos, guess i will do one along with a step by step.

Essentially it is the same as stacking deer hair then trimming to shape.

here is the photo again, since taking the photo I have thinned the profile a bit on this one, it was still a bit too shaggy. I owe Pat full credit for the tail, he showed me how to form it at somerset. I had been using ultrasuede tails previously.

13190549245_f6a447ffb8.jpg

its all in the trimming. I trimmed this one a bit more after I took that pic. It takes practice and patience. one wrong cut and it goes in my box instead of selling it.

for the big ones i will, they arent on my site yet, have only sold them in person so far. And as Pat said, even at that price you are working for nearly third world wages. They are a lot of time and material so the price really is justified.

Thanks I am a better tyer than web designer. The site is a continual work in progress to make it look better.

I need to find an artist and a web designer that want to trade services for flies :)