Fly Tying
cruncher

DT Special Variant and some questions for a noobie

Never fly fished the salt but the last couple trips to Naples visiting close friends (who don't fish at all unfortunately), always noticed schools of snook close to shore and some other large shadows further out, so I started to get the itch.

Heading down again in late October and was wondering what I could expect, if I would walk along the beach and throw out some flies. Are the snook generally around all the time?

Looking for some help on what leaders I should use on my 8wt setup and WF8F line as I walk the shore line.

Would you just run a 3 foot piece of 20#, 3 foot piece of 15# and then 3 feet of 12 or 10# to the fly?

Or do I use a shock leader of maybe 15# and add a couple feet of a lesser test? Is fluoro needed?

Or what else should I consider as far as pound test goes considering I'll probably be targeting fish on the smaller size

Been tying up some clousers to start out with and then came upon the DT Special doing google searches. Looks very fishy, dry and wet.

All that being said, any line/leader setup recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

post-586-0-50491100-1377880586_thumb.jpg

post-586-0-60216100-1377880898_thumb.jpg

You're in the right place, some of the guys here are experienced snookers. (in more ways than one) I do like that fly though. Seems to me you could catch just about anything on it. Just be aware that salt water is addictive. We've got a guy here from Michigan who has to go on antidepressants every time he gets on a plane to head back home. Poor slob didn't know what he was getting into.

Well, hope they chime in at some point. Being the holiday weekend is coming up, may not have been the best day to post this question but no super rush for the time being.

I'm sure it's not only the salt fishing but the weather that bums us Northerners when we have to head back. Thanks.

That's a great fly for the beaches (and as long as it's mild/warm the fish will be up on Gulf side beaches every day...). Here's the leader setup that I use. Start with a permanent butt section spliced or looped to the end of your fly line. For an 8 or a 9wt I like 40lb mono, about four feet of it ending in a surgeon's loop. For a 10wt line I'd want 50lb and five feet, for an 11 or 12wt I'd want 60lb, at least 5.5 feet (and 6ft is probably better...). The reason for the relatively heavy butt section is to be able to turn over whatever your fly is (and on the salt you'll be using bigger, bushier flies -almost always.... For the beach I won't use a shock tippet generally (I'd rather get more bites even if it means losing an occasional fish...). For the remainder of the leader I'd go with four feet of 20lb fluorocarbon - and that's it. It would have another surgeon's loop to attach it to the butt section and the fly would be attached to the other end with a small loop knot. By the way, this system is called a 'Poor Boy' leader and it's as simple as it is effective. If you run into some bigger fish (10lbs and up) then add a short trace of 30 or 40lb (keep it less than 12" including knots to both leader and fly) as a "shock" or bite tippet. It's only there to give you a fighting chance against a big snook's particularly abrasive mouth (but as noted above -do without it if you can since snook and other species in shallow, clear waters have eyesight that's entirely too good....).

Now back to that pretty fly... keep it on the small side, say no bigger than a #1 hook (I frequently use Crystal Schminnows that are tied on #4 hooks for beach snook -and small tarpon as well, but you won't see any of those along the beach....). Hope this helps, I'll post up some Schminnows (my version) so you can see what I'd be tossing at them.....

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

post-30940-0-06058300-1377950744_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-62909100-1377950768_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-08565700-1377950770_thumb.jpg

I use 4ft of 40 lb, 2 1/2 ft of 30 and 2 1/2 ft of 20lb. I tie a loop knot at the end and use loop to loop connection for shock tippet. If the water is tannicy and dark, which it often is on the gulf coast, especially in the back country, then I use 25-30 lb flouro. If it's clear I use 20lb flouro. Like Capt Bob says, with the 20 lb you may lose some fish, especially bigger snook which have sharp gill plates that can cut right through your line, but you get more bites in clear water with the lighter tippet.

You can't go wrong with either the DT special or schminnow, but also a sparsely tied EP baitfish, deceiver or Brook's Blonde work well too. For the surf, lighter colors often work best, especially all white. As Capt Bob said, you want to keep it small (#4 or #2) since you will be on the West coast. On the East side, sometimes you need small flies but by late summer into fall, bigger ones will work well when the mullet run starts.

Thanks for this info guys. That really helps clear things up.

Wow, 20# line to the fly and you call it a lighter tippet!! I really underestimated what was needed in that environment, even if it's only from the beach.

Those Schminnows look nice. I'll tie up a bunch in various sizes too.

Does anyone use surface flies btw and which ones would you recommend, if so? Just want to give the vise a workout since I haven't had a reason to tie since the spring.

Always fun to see the occasional fish in attack mode on a topwater presentation.

Remember when dealing with snook,ladyfish, or small tarpon... their lips are like wet/dry sandpaper in 100grit size -they really do a number on any leader they can get to (and of course snook also have a plate on each side of their gills that's actually sharp enough to cut through 80lb mono -ask me how I know...). So each time you get bit examine the bitter end of your leader and be prepared to cut it back and re-tie...

As far as topwater goes, any small popping bug, muddler type fly, Crease fly, Dahlberg Diver, or my own razor-cut mullet fly can be useful. Mostly, though I'm only working topwater around beaches at very first (or very last) light unless I can see fish blowing stuff up within casting range.... Here's a sample or two -the first is a Speed Bug with size #1 hook (the body is a Perfect Popper head, soft foam -meant for a #4 freshwater hook..). The second is a Razor Cut mullet in 2/0 with spun and razored deer belly hair, a bit of deer tail over layed with a single rabbit strip.. (I'm showing all white but red/white, chart/white, purple, and other colors work great in different circumstances....). Any time you're working topwater with a bit of depth don't be surprised to get bit by other species -we catch quite a few spanish mackeral, ladyfish (big ones...), and jack crevalle of every size on popping bugs for instance (back in the 'glades)....

I'm booked on Monday 70 miles to the east out of Flamingo with a 50/50 pair of anglers (one with fly the other with spinning gear). My fly angler will be in the bow and many of the flies in this thread will be getting chewed on with any luck.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

post-30940-0-86982500-1377966828_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-20276500-1377966874_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-37753300-1377966905_thumb.jpg

I am no expert but my recommendations are as above. Your post indicates that you are going to fish the beach. With that in mind. Lady fish also like the Schminnow in pearl on a #4. The #8 or 9 is IMO the correct rod for the snook. If you don't find the snook but get into the lady fish try down sizing to a 5wt if the wind and water conditions allow. I struggled with the 5wt when I tried it but since then one of the beach regulars suggested that I use a short leader/tippet combo to allow me better fly control. The lady fish would be a lot of fun on the 5wt. They are over matched on the heavier outfits. Us land lubbers must maximize our efforts when we get to the salt. It is great fun. Good luck

I can't say enough how much I appreciate everyone's responses.

Believe me, I'm not specifically targeting snook, It's just what I saw (or think I saw, based on some research and reading) within 20 feet of shore during my last time down in Naples in June, as I was doing a beach walk to get some excercise. Seeing all those shadows darting in and out and then cruising parallel to shore was an eye opener.

Thanks again for all the tips.

Cruncher, if you like to fool around with floater/diver flies, see if you can find some of Jim Stewart's deer hair creations online. He often targets snook, and his flies are beautifully crafted. Also, Tabory's snake fly (an easier tie) will draw strikes from just about anything. If you tie it with a large head and fish it on an intermediate line, it'll look like an injured baitfish struggling to get down.

You're in the right place, some of the guys here are experienced snookers. (in more ways than one) I do like that fly though. Seems to me you could catch just about anything on it. Just be aware that salt water is addictive. We've got a guy here from Michigan who has to go on antidepressants every time he gets on a plane to head back home. Poor slob didn't know what he was getting into.

Damn saltwater. Haha. PJ is right I have to heavily dose myself everytime I get on a plane coming home from the salt. Love it.

I dont have much to add from what everyone else has said at this point. However here are some pics of flies I keep in my box..

9eaab0c9-934a-4d26-9833-bf005e1de69e_zps

fd3cd088-8edb-4c9f-bffc-ca29657a6a90_zps

74146f35-506b-4d8f-937a-514699e8c343_zps

As mentioned above by Capt Bob it's critical that you check your tippet after every fish. Only a minute to re-tie if it's been roughed up and it'll save you a bunch of heartbreak !

Fred

As mentioned above by Capt Bob it's critical that you check your tippet after every fish. Only a minute to re-tie if it's been roughed up and it'll save you a bunch of heartbreak !

Fred

Well, the first step would be actually getting a fish interested to bite (ha). I can see the importance of checking this though, after all that I've read so far about the creatures of the salt..

I've gotten into the habit of just changing out my tippet after every steelhead I hook, landed or not. So true, the heartbreak can be and has been so awful at times.