Fly Tying
troutnabout

Kebari fly and Tenkara leader swap

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="DavidHE" data-cid="563799" data-time="1379705708"><p>

Great! I've done a bit of tenkara line/ leader fabrication research and experimentation, but I'd like to see your links. Hopefully you've turned up something I haven't. I am always looking to learn something new.</p></blockquote>

troutnabout- Dynamic Nyphing and George Daniels are resources I had not yet stumbled upon. Looks like a good read, and I've been wanting to improve my nymphing. 2 birds 1 stone. Thank you for the reply!

troutnabout - are you talking about a tenkara line or just the leader portion? Honestly, I have never done much than just a length of tippet for the leader.

Hi Old Hat

There are a number of configurations for Tenkara. I'm talking about a combination of a level line and leader or a braided line and leader . Some people incorporate Czech nymph leader formulas making sighter leaders for nymphing . If you'll sign up I can point you to some links and resources.

OK got it. Sorry, I am going to have to decline. I have never made any of the long leaders (line) before. No way I could get it figured out and done by October 15th. I am late seeing this. Maybe next time. Good idea though.

Hi old hat

Hope you will reconsider. I am going to move the due date to October 30th. You can do a very easy leader by using tippet ring for each step down in your tapered sections. Just use an improved cinch knot to attach the tippet to the ring. Easy peasy

I've constructed and tested many lines of various materials. I fished with one for several hours this weekend that I enjoyed using. It worked nicely when wind gusts swept thru and allowed for delicate presentation. It's great to see only your fly hit the water and watch a fish grab it instantly. I'll set about making them this week. Hopefully they work well for everyone else. Looks like we are waiting for 1 more, Oct 30 still the due date?

troutnabout,

I have sent you a couple of PMs with no answer and have not seen an update to this thread by you in three weeks. I just want to make clear that this swap is still going to happen, that we are tying five sets and the due date is still Oct 30 - ten days from now. Please respond.

Since this swap didn't even half fill I haven't started to tye flies or build leaders. Furthermore, the absence of communication and direction from our swapmeister has undermined my confidence in the swap. I think I will withdraw.

The wheels are coming off the wagon.....

I'd volunteer to step in, but haven't participated in enough swaps to be a SM...

I like the idea of this swap, seeing and trying new lines as well as flies is intriguing. Maybe it can be revisited/ rehashed at a later date.

Yup, I think this time is a bust. I'm out too.

DavidHE, you're right about it being a good idea. Perhaps a couple of months down the road it might be worth a try.

John