Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Spanky29ca

What's your go to dry dropper/hopper dropper setup

I believe one of the most effective set ups for trout is a dry dropper, this is usually my go to setup when fishing unfamiliar streams or rivers. Lately I've been using a stimulator and a bead head copper John in black with really good success, with fish taking on both the dry and the nymph. Another one I fish a lot in the fall is a Dave's hopper with a pheasant tail nymph. Just wondering what others use, do you have a favorite setup?

post-47110-0-40010900-1378221651_thumb.jpg

post-47110-0-54147100-1378221723_thumb.jpg

I like fishing a midge of some sort (I do have my favorite) behind an EHC in the high country...behind a grasshopper in late summer/early fall...and right now on the Bighorn behind a small black caddis. Its ALWAYS midge season.

I fish with quite a few different combos. I have to say though, I really have had luck mid-winter trailing a WD-40 or an RS2 behind bead headed baetis nymphs like a small tungsten psycho, or a crystal hunchback baetis.

EHC with a pheasant tail or GRHE dropper on unfamiliar water with no obvious hatch. Always catch at least a few with that setup.

Depends on the stream a bit. If there are midges, then an orange stimulator with a bead head zebra midge. If the stream isn't known for midges, I'll use a BH Hare's ear or BH pheasant tail as the dropper.