Fly Tying
Capt Bob LeMay

Early fall Everglades

Haven't posted a report in a while since almost 80% of my anglers recently haven't exactly been fly anglers. Yesterday I had brothers David and Phillip Smith aboard for a day on the gulf coast of the 'Glades, in the Shark river area. David worked the fly rod while his brother worked a light spinning rod (and the combination of flies and lures kept the fish interested in most places). Right after Phillip caught and released a nice snook David tossed a small popping bug into a tiny creek entrance and we were off to the races. I'll let the pics tell the story. His rod was an 8wt loaded with a floating line and a small #1 poppper, the Speedbug.... If you look closely at the posed shot you can see that bug in the fish's lower jaw.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

post-30940-0-77455600-1380575034_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-44166500-1380575059_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-38804400-1380575086_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-07817000-1380575164_thumb.jpg

Nice! Sometimes, I think I've just got to try saltwater fishing. But then, I drive past another freshwater lake or river or pond and get sidetracked. Maybe someday, I'll be able to make the drive with my eyes closed so I don't see them ... then I'll catch one of those reds!

Glad I was able to work a charter on Sunday since the Park will be closed now until the shutdown ends... The only good news from this end is that the Parks's boundaries end at Chokoloskee/Everglades City so I'll be able to work from there northward to Naples while all this fuss is occurring. The last time there was a govt shutdown they not only locked us out of the Park but stationed rangers on the water to keep anyone from entering Park waters by boat....

Kind of ironic that they can pay people to keep people out but not to keep the parks open.

As a former bureaucrat myself... I can understand what's going on - not that I like it or approve... It's the same impulse easily found in any town when there's a serious budget shortfall. Are they going to chop anyone's brother in law or special project or are they going to cut back on cops, firefighters, and teachers? You can guess how it usually goes...

Sweet stuff! Always love seeing your reports, one day you will have to plonk a few up in the flyfishing section for all those that complain about the lack of saltyness :)