Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
joachimwiigraak

Full sink 3/4 line

Not sure what you mean by 3/4 line. Do you mean 3 to 4 ips sink rate? I have started using a 250grain head on my 7weight for sinking work, but to be honest I prefer a sinktip on that size rod. For proper sinking lines I stepped up to a #10 single handed rod but have now swapped that out for a 12ft spey rod. Lifting up the sinking line is easy on the double hander and casting into the wind or using SH or scandi lines makes it much less of a PITA to use sunk lines.

AS far as makes go Airflo have always done a good sunk line. Rio and SA and Teeny all have pedigree.

Thanks for the answer!

I don't think I was specific enough, sorry!

I meant, full sink line WF #6 or #7 for single handed rod.
Mainly for coastal fishing after cod/seatrout in cold weather ( down to -10c)
I have good experience with SA , but want to try something else this season:)

Not sure what your costal sea trout fishing is like (assume your Norway/Denmark??) but mine is relatively shallow even in cold air temps. I've found a 10ft sink tip with a bead head fly is enough in terms of depth but the speed of the swing and size of fly is critical. When its air temp 4 and rising I'll fish big intruders and tubes but under 4 I stick to smaller patterns and again as it gets above 10 smaller size 14 and 16 rule.

Yeah, i live in Norway.
For most of the time i use slow intermediate "glass line" on shallow waters, but when the christmas cod is coming inn, I use full sink to fish near the bottom.
My experience is that it`s depending on the speed, not particularly the hook size:)
I fish sea trout with shrimps/scuds, and i fish them fast with many stops/dead drift. On the cod i use long clouser and i fish them slow. sight fishing cod is fun, try it:)