Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Losthackle

First fly & fish

My first fish I caught on a fly was a blue gill at my local campground. I caught it on a black and green chenille spider with rubber white legs. It starts sinking slowly and it still my best lake pattern. Bass and panfish just eat it up. My first fly I tied was tied without a vise or bobbin was a huge black caddis-ish thing tied with craft store wire and on a bait hook.

First fish on a fly I tied was a White Crappie on a white bugger in LLELA on the Trinity River in Plano TX. It wasn't legal, but it sure was fun, I was there with several guys in the Dallas Fly Fishers club. It was a good day on the river.

Blane

an 8 or 9" golden trout on a little lake deep in the Sierra Nevada. It doesn't have a name, only an elevation, but it's the lowest lake in upper Goddard Creek before the creek tumbles 6 miles down canyon into the middle fork Kings River. It was 1985 and I caught it and many others on a California Mosquito,,,, or maybe a Black Gnat. I tied these flies in 1974 when I was in 7th grade, but never fly fished. In fact, I caught the above on a fly and bubble with a spinning rod.

First fish on a fly I tied, fished with a fly rod was 2009, Blue Lake in the Eastern Sierra Nevada. It was a small rainbow on a Black Gnat I tied in 1974. The fish were gorging on large black ants at the time.

10 inch rainbow on a size 10 prince nymph I tied using a strand of metallic green Easter basket grass for the rib, since I didn't have any flash material.

Mine was only last year, late summer, a beautiful rainbow on a dry "black ant" pattern I made up one afternoon.

I've only been tying my own flies for around a year and after successfully tying my first Diawl Bach following the guide in a book I quickly put the book aside and started playing around with my own ideas, just to get a feel for the materials. Great fun but I really should go back and read the books now!

Ive only been tying for 10 mo. and I've only fished my own this year..... for the life of me I can not remember what I caught on first. Ive been thinking about it since this thread first popped up and Its driving me nuts.

I do however remember my first fish on my own dry vividly! I can see that fishes head coming out of the water over and over repeatedly missing that x caddis again and again before he finally ate it. That image is forever burned into my memory.

"Fly" was a popper I made by making a hole in a small cork with a nail and jammed over a Micky Finn streamer I took from my dad's creel. Fish was a largemouth bass about 12 inches. Place was an abandoned sandpit near the confluence of the North Platte and South Platte rivers. We fourth-graders had been using little black and yellow poppers but ran out of money and lost too many and had to improvise. Was using a steel fly rod with an automatic reel that I still have after inheriting it. Didn't know it then but I was dry-fly fishing. Started me on a life-long, almost obsessive-compulsive hobby and here I am. OK, I admit to the OCD. Thanks for starting this topic.

One of the first woolly buggers I tied, and one of the first flies I tied, was ferociously attacked by a 10" largemouth bass. The little guy was eating above his weight, that's for sure. Sadly, I never did get a picture to keep for posterity.

1993, give or take a year or two, Maine's Baxter State Park in Nesowadnehunk Stream. I caught a gorgeous little brook trout on a red deer hair worm I made up, probably a size 10. Only made one of it, and only ever caught one fish with it. I was probably 15 years old.