Fly Tying
Obi

Killer Bug: Chatwick's 477 replacement?

Hi everybody!

I would like to tye Sawyer's famous Killer Bug. It seems to be an excellent nymph for grayling. Of course, I don't have any of this 'magical' Chadwick's 477 yarn, and I don't want to waste a shad load of money for a card of that stuff either.......

The yarn can't be all that magic - can anyone recommend a good replacement for that 477?

Cheers,

Obi

P.S.: Just realized that 'Chadwick' is supposed to be written with a 'D' - but I can't edit the title of my thrad anymore..... Sry.

There is a good thread on a UK site with 3 different yarns side by side, wet and dry, can't tell the difference to the original 477. If I can find it I'll post it up.

This is considered as good a sub as any.

Cheers,

C.

Good just received some today. Good quick delivery from these guys. Looks slightly greyer than the 454. I am going to tie some tonight. May be a week or two before I get to test them on the grayling as the weather has turned wet and windy :(

Dears,

Thank you very much for your replies! I read about the Shetland Spindrift yarn before in some article (cannot recall where exactly!), but the author suggested using the sand-tone and then color the yarn additionally with a permanent marker. Did not make too much sense to me. But the oyste-tone seems to be a good match, at least form the pictures that are found in the net. And - best of all - this yarn is also alvailable in Germany, where I am located :-)

I also purchades some of the VENIARD killer bug yarn - but that one is of a 'cream' or 'beige' color. It does not seem to match very well with the 477.

Cheers,

Obi

Here's three Killer shrimp with different wools -

Left Lathkill's 477 sub

Middle Spindrift oyster

Right Spindrift sand

Can't imagine a grayling can really tell the difference!

Simon

post-33535-0-54805400-1382295367_thumb.jpg

Dear Simon,

Thank you very much for such an EXCELLENT reply! Looks like the Oster-yarn is exactly what I am looking for!

Did you do any comparsion in water-soaked condition?

Cheers, Michael