Fly Tying

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could find foam bug body patterns. not for a complete fly but one that I could print out and trace on foam paper. kinda like a foam cutter outline but on paper. Thanks a lot!

Ryver Adair

"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."
~ Chuck Clark

pattern? I tie a lot of foam; most is tied using a rectangle. here is a link to easy stealth bomber on youtube:

Also I have been successful with patterns from

Tying Flies with Foam, Fur, and Feathers by Harrison Steeves

Do you guys know like on foam cutters how different bodies can be cut? I was wondering if you knew a more cost efficient way of getting these"cut outs"

Do you guys know like on foam cutters how different bodies can be cut? I was wondering if you knew a more cost efficient way of getting these"cut outs"

scissors?

you dont need river road cutters to make foam flies

There is a popular pdf document for kens stealth bomber that can be found online for a a size 6 hook. It has a paper pattern you can cut out. I haven't ever come across any other paper patterns for foam bugs. It sounds like you are looking for away to cut them out quickly, cheap, and consistent. My suggestion is look for ways to measure your foam size to the size of hook. For example.matching width to hook gap and length to two hook thanks. Once you get a cutout you like for a size kelp one unused for reference and tracing more patterns.

you dont need river road cutters to make foam flies

No, you don't, I agree with you. I cut strips with a paper cutter or razor knife & additional cutting is done with scissors. I haven't seen the need for getting too detailed with foam bodies.

The RR cutters was just a suggestion based on his posted question. I don't have any of them myself.

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could find foam bug body patterns. not for a complete fly but one that I could print out and trace on foam paper. kinda like a foam cutter outline but on paper. Thanks a lot!

Ryver Adair

"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

~ Chuck Clark

When I started tying about two years ago I found online somewhere a template sheet like you are looking for. It had different sizes for foam bodies for beetles and other stuff. I can't find it online nor can I find the file on my computer or flash drives. I know I never used it much cause I just went by eye, mostly.

What you can do if you want to keep things uniform is make a fly then take it apart and use the body you made and make your own templates for future use.

This is a great fly (stealth bomber) that is east to tie. I have used the template in the past, but recently bought the cutters just to speed up the process. Have caught more bass on this fly than any other recently. And it's easy to tie. A great fly.