Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TLoomis

Favorite Trout Streamer

Interesting thread! I can see some evolution in patterns here & in today's fly tying world. Joe Brooks advocated big flies when appropriate, and there was a story of him catching big trout on his Blonde patterns tied on what was then considered saltwater hooks when others were using smaller, traditional patterns. I think it's great to see the big, meaty Sculpin imitations, and even though I don't chase trout very much, all of these big patterns interest me.

When I did do more trout fishing my go to streamer was often a Black Ghost, usually a size 6 or 8 and it's been a good fly for stream bass as well.

Now, in the right situation, I wouldn't hesitate to use a big (3" to 6") Clouser Half & Half for trout, or even some of the flies being tied for bass, particularly those with rabbit strip in them.

Good stuff! smile.png

Yeah a clouser rescued a day for me recently when the trout ignored all the flies, nymph, lure, dry etc etc and a 3 inch clouser that for some reason was in my trout box had a swim and took two in two casts.