Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

UV light box

Here is a lightbox I made to finish curing some UV Resin coated bream bugs. After about two hours the Solarez and Clear Cure Goo Hydro coated heads were tack free although the finish dulled when I touched them. Crystal Clear by Silver Creek and Diamond Fine by Deer Creek did not need placing in the UV light box as they cured tack free in less than 20 seconds.

I used a plain cardboard box, cut a hole the size of the threaded UV bulb from Solarez in the side which became the top, used some spray adhesive to coat the dull side of aluminum foil and stuck the foil inside all sides of the box. When closed up, the UV gets bounced all around. I used a shop light with the aluminum reflector removed to screw the UV bulb into and a piece of wood with holes drilled into it to hold the brass sticks I have the clips glued onto after wrapping the wood (not glued) in foil.

I first set the resin with a hand held UV flashlight so the resin would not droop.

Opened lightbox for placing heads in position.

kirk-dietrich-albums-general-picture999-

Closed lightbox with UV rays dancing around.

kirk-dietrich-albums-general-picture1000

Kirk,

I have both of these items to cure my resin.

The box on the left cost me $5.00 at a garage sale. It is used for curing nail polish.

It has 2 UV bulbs that that add up to 18 watts of power. They can be had new for $20 on eBay.

The item on the right was used to cure castings for hearing aids. I got it for $25.00.

It has four bulbs totaling 36 Watts of power.

Both items work really well and cure any of the UV resins in under a minute with absolutely no residue (Haven't tested Solarez).

Like you, I set my resin with a laser on my vise. After I have few flies I place them in the box and cure for another

2 minutes. I find that my scuds, which have a heavy application of UV resin, need that longer curing time.

I have experimented with the various brands of UV Resin. Like you I have found the Diamond Hard from Deer Creek cures with no tack

just using the laser.

curing_light.jpg

Kimo

Kirk, That is a great idea that cost very little...The first picture kind of reminded me of a party that I went to back in the late 70's.....

thats a neat idea

i have good results by placing my uv resin coated poppers in a fly stansd and setting it out on my deck railing to cure hard and tack free under the sun. this goes for using bug bond, diamond hard, clear cure goo and misfit resins. a pre-cure of each resin is required. the sun is the undisputed winner of curing lights.

i am currently using the "misfit" brand from lunds fly shop (its a rebranded equivalent of silvecreeks brand). i personally think its the best of the current crop of uv resins. tack free using just a uv flashlight/laser pen.

i did not find the solarez bulb ($39 bucks) to be any better than using a uv flashlight/laser to cure resins.

its for sale for $25 bucks smile.png

Kimo, those will certainly last longer than the one I made!

Brookie, thanks but its only as cheap as what you can get the bulb for - I was fortunate that a Solarez rep gave that one to me. Then you have to put out a few bucks for a vintage Farah Faucet poster to get the whole effect of the 70's...

Norm, thanks. The sun is certainly the best UV source, unfortunately, most of my fly tying is done between 8pm and midnight. On the weekend, I'll set the box outside in its original orientation with with the flaps up and put the stand in it with the flaps open and the foil reflects the sun hitting the bugs from all directions.

Kirk

Hmm, I wonder if an EPROM eraser would work? There are probably a bunch of old ones lying around, since that technology isn't used much anymore.