Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
J-Kno

First fly design and it works!

I haven't seen a fly like this, but if someone else has, please site who is the originator. I'm calling it (tentatively) the Lite Brite Soft Hackle. It catches fish (as of today) too!

The fly:

LiteBriteSH_zps86003700.jpg

The results:

DSC04709Medium_zpsb96a3ffe.jpg

DSC04712Medium_zps49033a90.jpg

DSC04707Medium_zpseda71f0a.jpg

Not too shabby for its first outing... and my first time fly fishing in a long while (3+ years)

I am a soft hackle aficionado and that one certainly gets a two thumbs up - well done. I am happy that Mr. Trout approves too. Congrats!

Pretty little fish ... nice looking fly.

Thank you very much! Not real big, a little snakey but fun to catch! I only took pics of the first 3 I caught.

I am a soft hackle aficionado and that one certainly gets a two thumbs up - well done. I am happy that Mr. Trout approves too. Congrats!

Got the "slime stamp" of approval! This will be in the swap!

Looks like a winner to me. smile.png What material did you use for the body?

Mylar over dark olive thread.

Basically the same fly was the subject of an article in one of the FF mags about five years ago; I don't remember which one or the author. It was just a soft-hackle, but with a body of wrapped Krystal Flash (although there are plenty of other materials that would give an equivalent effect). I've got a dozen in my soft-hackle box, tied with pearl or peacock Krystal Flash. They really work, especially when caddis are hatching.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's pretty much nothing new in fly tying, mostly just small variations on the same good old stuff.