Fly Tying
Bruce Derington

December Flies from the vice

Just had to try one....

Attached is my very first attempt at the Punk Rocker. Its not terribly awful for my first one but it is not even close to the skill level of the ones pictured above. These things are fun to tie. I will be experimenting more with them.

post-50481-0-08606000-1386120332_thumb.jpg

Just had to try one....

Attached is my very first attempt at the Punk Rocker. Its not terribly awful for my first one but it is not even close to the skill level of the ones pictured above. These things are fun to tie. I will be experimenting more with them.

Sweet! Looks like it's packed nice and dense. Are you trimming with scissors or a razor blade?

-Mike

I was wondering if someone could answer a few questions i have about those awesome punk rocker flys. First, how do you get the multiple colored bodies, they look really good but i cant figure it out. Second, how do you get the Mohawk in there, it also looks really cool but i cant get it. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Crackle back-

I am using one of those bendable razor blades which you can get from any local pharmacy. I believe they are called safety blades.

Fish For Life-

the way I did it was I stacked different colors of hair on top each other, not allowing them to spin, just stacked and tighten one color layer at a time. But as you can see, my lines between the colors are not as crisp and well defined as the others. This will probably come with experience but any advice on this issue would be awesome.

-Thanks !

Fish For Life-

For got to mention.....

My peacock sword was added by just spreading the hair and using zap a gap on the stem of the sword. Seems to adhere well to the deer hair and dries fast. fins were added the same way. Seems to be rather durable surprisingly.

hope that helps...

haha, I did three of each actually as the wife had a womens bible study at our house so I took refuge in the shed lol.

The little blue ones should be good sea trout ones and the #20 black one should be a good gnat fly.