Fly Tying
djtrout

who does deer hair streamers and flys anymore?

I have just finished tying up a few deer hair sculpins in size 6 for a planned attack on some local monster brown trout. I really enjoy tying with hair; but I got to wondering today, how many of us dabble in hair anymore? My bass popper go-to's are simple foam or cork jobs, though I have a collection of hair bugs too. I prefer to use hair/foam combos on my hoppers, and I enjoy fishing with the traditional hair muddler.

So - who still uses hair anymore? Anyone get the same "kick" out of it that I do? Of course the creativity of all fly tying is why we're in this ...

Uhm. Deer hair/Buck tail is a staple in most fly tyers material stash....

Here's my most recent tie with deer hair.

89c8a908fc20ae8b63bae95b26b14291_zps2f0f

I don't tie as much as I once did with deer body hair, such as spinning deer hair bugs, but bucktail is still a material I use a lot. However, I also enjoy tying with either when I get in the mood!

NoSlack, nice looking streamer! smile.png

Micky Finn's, Black Nosed Dace, Clouser Minnows, I use lots of bucktail. I prefer using natural materials when I can.

"buck"tail is my all-time favorite material for .... bucktail flies. The old traditionalist in me somewhere learned that the term "streamer" applies only to feather-winged flies. I'm sure that's not written in stone. I love tying and fishing bucktails.

And deer-hair is a never-ending source of fun and expression.

I love using deer hair for streamers. I've never tried to spin it. It looks difficult even when skilled tyers do it but I may have to give it a go. The Mickey Finn is one of my all time favorites classic flies. Red and yellow. Red and yellow!

I go through 5-10 bucktails a month on mostly musky flies! I agree with some of the other posters that its a staple in many tyers boxes.

the muddler is my favorite fly. I love it in all of its varieties (natural, marabou, cone head, combo, etc...) I also tie a lot of my classic Rangeley style streamers in buck tail instead of feathers as the buck tail is hollow and moves a little more in the water but can still be tied sparse to imitate a smelt.

I tie and fish a lot of Muddlers - mini to size 2 - and use them dry and wet.

The Goddard Caddis is another fly that always seems to be missing from my box - the space is there - I don't know where the flies go. I do know a Goddard Caddis with Zug Bug dropper in an Alder Fly hatch equals fish.

For bucktail I tie and fish a lot of streamers. Light and Dark Edson Tigers, Warden's Worry, Tri-Color, Red and White along with the standards mentioned above like the Micky Finn and Black Nose Dace.

I like furs in general and use lot of Black Bear, Wood Chuck (a favorite streamer is the Llama) and Squirrel Tail as streamer wings. Or were you focusing mostly on deer hair cutting and shaping?