Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Christopher K

flies that impressed you

I've been looking to get into some tying competitions lately but am having a hard time deciding what to tie, I know what flies I like but I'm not sure if those views are shared by the majority of tiers. My best field would be big streamers, I can and do tie small stuff but I find that for the most part they are not as impressive to look at, no matter how many fish they catch. I would go all out and tie a classic salmon fly but I'm still building my collection of rare materials and learning to tie this style. So I ask, what flies impress you the most?

A really well tied winged wet trout fly. To do them for competition you need to be hyper critical. Much more than anyone seems willing to put on here.

If asked to set a fly for a comp I almost always choose a spider. The Winter Brown. Easily available materials (orange silk, partridge hackle and peacock herl). Easy enough but there is no where to hide poor tying technique. One turn of thread out of place will show. For the most part though these are small flies.

I have been very impressed with one or two floss bodies I've seen. So smooth and shiny you can't quite tell where the edge of the body is. I know only one person who achieves this consistently.

Competition tying is ok if you don't mind 30 to 60 hours work going into a fly. I tend to get bored, and want to tie something else.

Cheers,

C.

A really well tied winged wet trout fly. To do them for competition you need to be hyper critical. Much more than anyone seems willing to put on here.

If asked to set a fly for a comp I almost always choose a spider. The Winter Brown. Easily available materials (orange silk, partridge hackle and peacock herl). Easy enough but there is no where to hide poor tying technique. One turn of thread out of place will show. For the most part though these are small flies.

I have been very impressed with one or two floss bodies I've seen. So smooth and shiny you can't quite tell where the edge of the body is. I know only one person who achieves this consistently.

Competition tying is ok if you don't mind 30 to 60 hours work going into a fly. I tend to get bored, and want to tie something else.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks, I'll give that one a shot. I'm OK with my floss bodies, if I put in the time in I can definitely get a nice body, check out the classic tying board, you'll see that there are many more tiers who are amazing with silk.

Realistics that are truly realistic ... and Punk Rockers by Pat Cohen. Those fish are what got me back into tying ... then I stopped trying when faced with the cost of supplies. I really don't spend that much on my flies.

Good luck in competition.

Its gotta be freestyle or classic salmon flies, seems to be the pinnacle of tying to get perfect...impressed for a competition u can just choose a fly and go 'oh i will tie that', for me it would have to be a pattern i have done 100's of times before, i personally would have to be sure it fishes, swims, and looks great while inspired from my own fishing experience. Its like swaps i refuse to join them because people are trying patterns they have never tied or seen before and in the end they are complete rubbish because they have no experience with the pattern.

Jam, you mean you'd be forced to tie absolutely perfect flies if you joined a swap? :) That's part of the fun, being forced to stretch oneself in a new area. Never have I felt that all my flies in a swap needed to be perfect, it's always been more about are they proportioned correctly, do they look good enough for me to give to someone else and will they work, perfect, I don't know if I'm capable of that after only being at it for 3 1/2 years. I do it for the sheer enjoyment of it and to get new ideas and patterns.

Blane

Haha Blane, i would at least have something to offer in a swap, i would never join a swap with flies i have never attempted before. Maybe its just me, but the stretching i can do that at home in my own time next to a pair of scissors and a knife till it seems right, then next step is to fish it and see if it swims alright, then if i can test it on a few fish. Then the fly is ready for a swap :)

Going to take a stab at rogan's fancy with a mixed wing, if it goes well that's probably what I'll enter, but keep the ideas coming!