Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewP

The "Hole Punch"

I got the idea for this fly from a fly designed for freshwater carp. I modified it slightly and thought it might make for a good benthic worm imitation for redfish or black drum, especially when those fish were tailing hard.

The head and body of the fly is just barbell eyes and estaz. The tail of the fly is made from thin foam and cut using a hole-punch. I then use thin rubber (like used for crab legs) and thread onto a needle, and puncture the punches in the middle. On the last punch, I make a big knot to secure everything.

The fly ends up looking like this …..

holepunchfly2_zps912bda16.jpg

It’s made to stand straight up off the bottom, and it does. Here is a pic I tried to get with the fly in a glass of water:

holepunchfly1_zps494f4c58.jpg

I may end up adding some additional “legs” between some of the punches to give the fly some more wiggle ….

Haven’t had the opportunity to try it out just yet, but would love to throw this at some big tailing black drum and see what happens …..

AP

Id probably want to try and add a weed guard as you're going to be wanting that hard on the bottom. Should work lovely.

If it actually head stand like that in use, it's going to be a killer pattern. A little wave action, or twitch of the rod and that thing should dance like a blood worm, a tube worm or a "tailing" minnow. A minnow picking at something on the bottom is NOT paying attention to approaching predators and they take full advantage of that.

I think you've got a winning pattern without adding anything.

Very original idea! Don't know how tough that rubber used to thread the foam is, but you might want to use mono or braided line instead. The individual discs give a nice segmented look as opposed to a single foam cylinder.

I tied some of those last summer use for carp. I used a 1/8" hole punch and I did not string the disks very close together which allowed more movement. 1/4" hole punch would probably be better in the salt. Wished I could brag that I hooked some carp but alas..........I found the idea on a carp blog where a fella ties carp flies for profit. I think I used 4 or 6# mono to string the disks. Keep us updated on your success with these tail wavers. I too, think it is a great idear. I intend to try them for some other warmwater species this summer.

Yes Mike, they do sit head down and tail up.

You are really onto something with this one. Good idea!

The design also lends itself to biggish -- 2 and 1/2 to 3" -- salmon flies with the addition of legs, a wing case, and antennae. (I've seen bigger ones attached to my waders on the Shenandoah!) Use plastic bead eyes and a short leader with a sink tip line in short strips and you can get a horizontal, natural, retrieve with wiggle; stop the retrieve in front of a fish and it wiil rise as if emerging.

Rocco

Hope you don't mind; I've created Version 2.0 of this fly ....

Changes made were

(1) Now tied on jig hook

(2) Use EP Tarantula Legs for body

(3) use 4 large bead chain instead of lead eyes (looks shrimpy)

(4) Using thin elastic band for "thread" instead of silli leg material

(5) Maribou tail to secure end of thread

It still stands on its head when sitting still with the body upright and the maribou moving seductively (to a black drum anyway) .....

AP

holepunchfly3_zpsf7da0bae.jpg