Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HalfDunn

Tiemco 200r alternatives

I like the Tiemco 200r hooks in size 16 and 18 for tying small buzzers and nymphs so I just wondered what alternatives there are a little cheaper. Has any one tried the Fulling Mill living larva?

TA

Yes I've tried the Living Larva hooks they are fine. In those sizes though there is no significant difference in shape between a fly tied on a 200r and one tied on a straight shank hook. Some people have found the 200r not to be a good hooking hook in smaller sizes, this has been my experience as well. The Living Larva hook is better in this respect.

Cheers,

C.

There are a lot of alternatives to the 200R. Eagle Claw L052 is among the least expensive at 8.19 per hundred.

Allen models 201, 201, and 301 are similar to the two TMC curved "natural" bend hooks. They are priced at 2.25 for 25 or 6.92 if you buy 4 packs. The Mustad C53S is close but almost as much as the TMC hooks. J Stockard has the 430, and the 720 both are 3.25 for 25. The Dai Riki or Kamisan 270 can be found at Blue Quill Angler for 4.75 for 50 hooks. There are other "house" brand hooks that are similar.

I'm having a sale over at GreenCaddis. Hooks 50% off, $1.98 per pack of 25. http://greencaddis.com/fly-tying-hooks.html

I have both the 200R and 2312 style hooks and you are helping support FTF in the process. Give them a try, I believe you will find they meet or exceed any other hook out there.

Will

Thanks but I am in the UK.

Look into the Umpqua U203 hook. It is a slightly lower quality hook than the standard TMC, but made by the same people. The U203 is the equivalent of the 200R. The packs cost about the same price, but the U hooks come in 50 packs as opposed to 25. I have found them to be sticky sharp, ask my fingers!

Look into the Umpqua U203 hook. It is a slightly lower quality hook than the standard TMC, but made by the same people. The U203 is the equivalent of the 200R. The packs cost about the same price, but the U hooks come in 50 packs as opposed to 25. I have found them to be sticky sharp, ask my fingers!

Nice one. £3.09 for 50.

I don't like the 200R in smaller sizes, because the gape is too narrow. At size 16, I switch to a scud hook, which is 2x wide and 2x short, to get the bigger gap, but still have the curved shank. It takes a bit of mental adjustment to get the proportions right, but you use a size 14 scud to tie a size 16 nymph. By tying well down into the bend, you can compensate for some of the shortness of the hook.

Look into the Umpqua U203 hook. It is a slightly lower quality hook than the standard TMC, but made by the same people. [snipp

You sure about that? While in the US I know it is sold by the same distributor (Umpqua) I have never heard that the hooks were actually made by Tiemco.

Thanks guys. Got some Fulling Mill Living Larva on order and just received to day some nice Grip 14711 in sizes 14 - 20. just £1 for 25. Never used these before but reviews suggest they are good hooks. Barbed but they can always be crushed.

Now to the vice tying buzzers.