Fly Tying
rainbow27

DYNA KING JAWS finial conclusion

i know alot of people have complained of hooks slipping i did so at one point to. I get that it is fustrating to spend a ton of $$$ and have somthing not work right. i found thst it was just my mistake that the hoooks slipped. the nob at the top is very precice. when you adjust it you need to find a sweet spot once you get it no more slips. i was so agrivated but now i am used to the adjustment it takes 2 secinds now. merry chistmas! :)

I'm glad it worked for you. I never had them slip in mine. I have had them crush them though.

Jeremy

I have had two DynaKing vises for years and tied zillions of flies with each. Never had any problem with either. Am thinking of getting the ultimate indexer. Any naysayers?

I actually switched to a Nor-Vise and would never go back. I was going to sell my Dyna king but I've been letting my 8 year old play around tying on it.

I've used a Dyna-King since 1998 and never had a problem. A friend of mine did have problems with his midge jaws after many years of tying. Knowing my friend, I'd bet he was tying streamers with the midge jaws...

I own a Squire and a Barracuda Indexer. The squire has always worked beautifully. The Barracuda on the other hand has never handled smaller hooks that well. The serrations were very slight and are unreliable. I contacted Dyna-King about the possibility that the jaws were defective and got the following reply:

"We recommend our midge jaw for tying smaller than a 12. The tips on the standard jaws can wear smooth over time and we can re-serrate them to prolong them. New jaws are $69.00 and the re-serration charge is $ 15.00. Please let me know how I can be of further assistance."

The take away for me is:

1) Barracuda standard jaws were not designed to handle hooks smaller that 12. If the user attempts to do so, the serrated section of the jaw will wear down "over time" and require additional expense to refurbish.

2) "Over time" is apparently about 2 years, right about the time that the "lifetime warranty" on the jaws expires.

I'm not bitter, just disappointed. As I stated at the beginning, I love my $200 Squire. I just expected the $400+ Barracuda to perform at least as well. I will keep the Barracuda as a Bass Bug vise because it is excellent for spinning deer hair, but am currently looking at the Nor-vise since I really like rotary tying with smaller flies.

sborgf - Others share your disappointment, including me. My feeling is that DK at some point changed the metal used in jaws (maybe when Ron A. retired??).

FYI Rainbow27 started another thread on this topic. This thread seems to be an update.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=76100&hl=

You should give the midge jaws a try. the majority of flies I tie are 14 and smaller. They have worked beautifully all the way up to sz6. I only put the standard jaws on if I am tieing big honking streamers, muskie or bass bugs...