Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flymanaj

dremel popper help

I've been turning out dremel popper bodies for a little while now but I'm still not sure what tool/tactic to use to bore the mouth of the popper. Is there a tool that I could use in my Dremel?

Are you talking about cupping the front front of the popper? If so use different size and shaped grinding stones bits.

I don't know if you are using wood or foam for the bodies, but for the foam bodies I make, I use the same piece of sand paper used to shape the body. I fold it in four and use the corner to insert into the face of the popper body while it is turning to cup it out. Seems to work fine and should work for either body materials. You can alter the coarseness of the sand paper to cut faster or slower as well as alter the finish.

I've used a round ball type burr in my drill press with the speed set at max. It is very hard to control the depth and even to hold on to the foam. SAFETY CONCERN. Watch your fingers.

Another safety concern: Lot of fine air borne particulate. Wear some sort of particulate mask.

Most of the bodies I use are simple cylinders cut with home made cutters made out of centerfire cartridge cases or brass tubing. No chance of airborne particulate.

I tie Crease Flies most of the time now days. You can really make them pop.

Just so I know you are doing the right thing, I assume you are putting a wood screw in the dremel and placing the foam on the screw and turning it like you would use a lathe. If so, use sand paper to cup the mouth. That's what I do. If you are carving the foam with the dremel, you are doing it the hard way.