Fly Tying
utyer

January Flies from the Vise

T'other day I promised AK Assassin that I would have a go at Combining the Marc Petitjean Dun Wing/hackle with Wally Wings.

Well here is the result.

WWMP_0008_zps40a4888e.jpg

WWMP_0007_zps445e3925.jpg

WWMP_0006_zps00a73527.jpg

For the experiment I tied the MP Dun as per how Marc ties them just with the addition of Wally Wings.

Verdict: I'm not sure it adds much for the extra effort..

Cheers,

C.

Now that there is an absolute thing of beauty!! It looks great. Its still a (fairly) quick tie. Its light. Its still sparse. It'll float like a cork. It will be very visible. The fish WILL eat it up! What's not to like? Best of both worlds. A+

T'other day I promised AK Assassin that I would have a go at Combining the Marc Petitjean Dun Wing/hackle with Wally Wings.

Well here is the result.

WWMP_0008_zps40a4888e.jpg

WWMP_0007_zps445e3925.jpg

WWMP_0006_zps00a73527.jpg

For the experiment I tied the MP Dun as per how Marc ties them just with the addition of Wally Wings.

Verdict: I'm not sure it adds much for the extra effort..

Cheers,

C.

Wow...absolutely amazing! Thank you for following up with your tye! Now, only if I can get my wally wings to turn out like yours. I'll have to practice. What feather do you find to cooperate the most?

It's obvious it's been too cold to fish. 7 days into the month and there's already 6 pages!

I need to get off the dime and take some pictures of some crabs I've been tying. I'm dreaming of springtime down at the Gulf.

Hi AK,

Mostly I use duck breast, ones that are symmetrical. Though that one is a partridge feather. A large soft one from a mostly used up skin (I go through about 1 skin a year). Just yesterday I prepared the feathers for this years batch of Wally Winged Wulffs. I do around 20 dozen a year for one shop, For the mayfly hatch on the Derbyshire Wye. As they say practice...

A friend of mine gets a few domestic birds every year from someone who doesn't like to kill them himself. I raid these for my feathers. If you know anyone who shoots waterfowl then you can have your own steady supply. Don't forget to take all the usual precautions. The wings are worth having as well.

Here's this years batch of feathers prepared.

WallyWings_0001_zpsa7c0878c.jpg

It may not look like it but there are around 300 there to make sure I have enough for the Mayfly season. I strip them ready before washing them as I don't see the point of washing what I will be throwing away. They have dried now and are ready for bagging up.

Cheers,

C.

Recently got some of my tying gear from the homeland and have been asked to go try for some winter steelhead on Vancouver Island. I've never really tied anything other than trout flies, so will any of these be any use? Any recommendations for what I should be tying?

Cheers!

post-10685-0-99981000-1389215267_thumb.jpg

post-10685-0-53504800-1389215304_thumb.jpg

post-10685-0-78433000-1389215329_thumb.jpg

post-10685-0-82693400-1389215372_thumb.jpg

Recently got some of my tying gear from the homeland and have been asked to go try for some winter steelhead on Vancouver Island. I've never really tied anything other than trout flies, so will any of these be any use? Any recommendations for what I should be tying?

Cheers!

Go big! Intruders, marabou, rabbit! :)

Did you have to drill out the skull a little more? How do these flies sit in the water with a fish skull being that bit lighter than a cone.

no I did not drill it out. just small inner tube and crimped it, squeezed it in and pull with tongs, zap a gap i-on the thread head and then fitted the fish skull in place. it sit quite well in water