Fly Tying
utyer

January Flies from the Vise

New to tying and starting to do some of my own 'creations'..not sure how these will work, but I guess that's part of learning.

You're new to tying? Hot damn! Those look great!

New to tying and starting to do some of my own 'creations'..not sure how these will work, but I guess that's part of learning.

Really nice ones !

I wish i could have done that when i started tying :)

Recently got some of my tying gear from the homeland and have been asked to go try for some winter steelhead on Vancouver Island. I've never really tied anything other than trout flies, so will any of these be any use? Any recommendations for what I should be tying?

Cheers!

Yeah man they look good, you def gonna need some sparse intruder types, i tend to stay away from rabbit or big webby stuff like marabou as it slows the sink rate something cronic. Use tungsten eyes and a minimal dressing for some pools on the island like Heber. Intruders even work a treat on Campbell. Black and pink. Winter fishing tho i am not very experienced but summer run i know the truders are the money.

You're new to tying? Hot damn! Those look great!

Well, started last November, so a couple months. Actually quite surprised at the responses..you're all too kind! I'm very grateful for all of the amazing videos and step by steps all over. Hellooo new addiction..

Well, this is my first ever attempt at a Sakasa Kebari style fly, a re-imagining of a pheasant tail.

post-26372-0-36681500-1389425798_thumb.jpg

and some carp bugs

post-26372-0-01088800-1389426890_thumb.jpg

and here are a few I'm tying for swaps, first a bluegill imitation:

post-26372-0-02327100-1389425865_thumb.jpg

A Hipps' Soft Body Popper

post-26372-0-62243500-1389425917_thumb.jpg

and a Clouser Floating MInnow

post-26372-0-57975400-1389425985_thumb.jpg

Here's a fly I came up with last night. Someone somewhere has probably done something similar, but I was playing around with palmered marabou and this appeared. My son called it The Princess. It's just a rabbit tail, palmered chartreuse marabou, polar chenille (which acts as the underbody), and a collar of palmered white marabou. When I tested it in my pool, it really moves and breathes very well.

11889032866_4eb840a870_z.jpg

I have been playing with marabou wing streamers, such as the "Black Ghost"

jan3_zps696b0cc2.jpg?t=1389546598

and his "Perchie" cousin

jan1_zps1a973c8d.jpg?t=1389546603

and while looking at the Grey Ghost, but having no materials for it I tried this

jan7_zpsf3eaacb1.jpg?t=1389546604