Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chase Creek

Wire Management

Here's how I manage my wire for the bench. The container I found at JoAnn's Fabric. It came in a clear plastic box with 11 others for about $7. I drilled a very small hole in the side to thread the wire thru. I also use these containers to keep most-used dubbing in. Easy to label, and you can see the contents.

post-4211-0-36341100-1388861026_thumb.jpg

post-4211-0-16731700-1388861811_thumb.jpg

I use opaque film cannisters for this. They're free at my local drug store where they process film. I label them with a Sharpie.

Drill a small hole in the dubbing box and would not have to open it to get out the dubbing. Good idea on the wire storage.

I use opaque film cannisters for this. They're free at my local drug store where they process film. I label them with a Sharpie.

Yes, or better yet the transparent Fuji film containers, if you can find them.

I use spool minders I make...

spool_minder2.jpg

You can see them on the wire, floss, and tinsel spools on the rack there.

spool_minder1.jpg

They work well, don't add much bulk at all and allow the use of wire, floss etc without wasting any. Like tiny bobbins for those spools you don't normally put on a bobbin.

Hareline sells a similar item, I make mine a little different(and better I think).

Interesting but you'll still get the slinky effect as the wire comes off the spool, even if it is in a container. I found it easiest just to take a Xacto knife and put a notch in the spool for Danville wire (wooden spools). Ultrawire comes with that neat cap, so there really isn't any need for modification. When done with the wire, just pop the cap, run the wire perpendicular over the top, and replace the cap.

Most of my wire is from beading supplies and comes on spools with a plastic clip over them like you get on some spools of mono.

Cheers,

C.

I use these little soft plastic spools sold by Feather-Craft. The tippet they sell under their name comes spooled on these, and they also sell them empty for $0.50 each. post-36073-0-88894000-1388939154_thumb.jpg

Bryon, if you're looking for a cheaper source for those, check out the beading supply places. They sell them for about 25c each in packs. Different sizes from small to huge. And most of them click together to make a nice stack.

Bryon, if you're looking for a cheaper source for those, check out the beading supply places. They sell them for about 25c each in packs. Different sizes from small to huge. And most of them click together to make a nice stack.

Jason, where have you found them for $0.25 each? I have looked around on the web and the cheapest I found them was $0.39 ea., and you had to buy over 150 to get them at that price.

I buy them whenever I find them at the local bead shacks my wife likes to venture into(and I follow for the cool beads and junk!). Usually a dozen or so in a bag for about $3.

It seems with the recent popularity in Kumihimo crafting the prices on eBay have skyrocketed up too. I've seen them on there fairly cheap at times as well. Right now it looks about 42c each when you buy 4dz or so...

I buy them whenever I find them at the local bead shacks my wife likes to venture into(and I follow for the cool beads and junk!). Usually a dozen or so in a bag for about $3.

It seems with the recent popularity in Kumihimo crafting the prices on eBay have skyrocketed up too. I've seen them on there fairly cheap at times as well. Right now it looks about 42c each when you buy 4dz or so...

Yep, that's about what I found too...it's good to know they're out there, though. $0.40 is still cheaper than $0.50 each, anyway. :) Thanks for the tip.

Thanks, guys. I hadn't thought about the bead stores. I know there's at least one around here. I'll have to wander thru there and see what's available.