Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SilverCreek

Tying thread spool tender

I use plastic binding combs. These are the plastic combs which hold loose leaf binders together as in the photo below.

bigcomb_zps9bbf4ba4.gif

Take them off the binder and they look like this:

Plastic-Comb-Binders_zpsac16dd62.jpg

I went to my hospital print shop and got a bunch of them in all sizes. I cut them to size and they will fit around any size of spool. Here are the ones I use for the spools on my Norvise Bobbins.

DSC05040_zps05f46386.jpg

You can cut them to size to fit any spool including the regular thread spools. For the regular thread spools, cut them so two comb arms wrap around the spool.

ThreadHolder.jpg

that's a really cool idea, you can probably make wire despensers out of them too by leaving them whole and stacking the wire spools inside

Now burn, punch or burn a hole near the end and feed floss, wire, tinsel etc. through the hole to create a materials bobbin and be rid of those annoying and wasteful 'ends'.

heres another idea that I use. take strips of wood(I used 1x4's) and drill 1/4 inch holes down the whole board, about 1/16 of an inch deep. then take .22 or .22 magnum shells and epoxy them in the recessed holes, walla! I love the one I made.

Matt

I have been loking for something to use on my wire spools and the plastic binder rings are great idea thank you.

I use plastic binding combs. These are the plastic combs which hold loose leaf binders together as in the photo below.

bigcomb_zps9bbf4ba4.gif

Take them off the binder and they look like this:

I got the binders, SilverCreek. I didn't know what to do with the paper after removing the binders, so I just threw it out the window.

After I get out of jail for littering, I'll let you know how I like the idea for thread control.